The Huawei Watch is now getting Android 6.0 Marshmallow — otherwise known as Android Wear 1.4 — but if you can’t wait for the OTA to hit your watch you’ll be glad to know you can flash it manually. All you need to do is know your way around ADB and follow a few simple steps. Let’s get started.
Disclaimer: these instructions only apply to Windows users. You are responsible for anything that happens to your device, so wait for the OTA if you aren’t comfortable doing it.
- Download the update file here and place it in a folder you can find it.
- Download this All-in-One ADB utility.
- Open the folder where your update file is and type “CMD” into the file address bar and press Enter. This opens the Windows command line.
- Type “ADB reboot bootloader” into the command box.
- On the watch, navigate to Reboot Recovery. (This can be done by short pressing the power button to switch between items, and long pressing the power button to confirm your selection.)
- Select the option to Find Update File via ADB, and swipe left or right to confirm.
- Head back to the command prompt and type “ADB sideload filename” where “filename” is the full name of the update file you downloaded, including its file extension.
And you should be on Marshmallow before too long. Head here to read about all the great changes it brings, and be sure to take all the new features for a spin throughout your day!