The upgrade to Android 4.3 has been going out to folks all over Galaxy land, but Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE owners have been left out… until now. SamMobile is reporting that the upgrade is now rolling out for that smartphone. Folks on the international unlocked version will obviously be first in line, but it shouldn’t be terribly long before carrier-branded versions to follow.
Even still, you’ll want to remember that rollout schedule can differ from region to region and carrier to carrier. The Android 4.3 upgrade brings a lot of changes specific to Samsung devices, with the most notable being Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch support, new camera features, Samsung Knox security features, a move-to-SD feature, support for TRIM and a ton more. You can find the full list at the tail-end of this post.
As usual, you can use KIES to receive the upgrade over a hard line, or you can opt for it over-the-air by checking Settings > More > About Device > Software update > Update. This one should be quite hefty, so charging your battery up and getting onto a WiFi connection is a good idea before attempting to pull it down. Read on for the full changelog.
- GALAXY GEAR Support
– TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
– Core UI elements updated to the ones on the Galaxy S4 (Galaxy S4′s theme all over)
– New Samsung Keyboard
– GPU drivers have been updated (Higher GPU benchmark scores)
– New Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
– New Screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
– Driving mode
– Actionable notifications
– Move-to-SD-card feature
– New Camera mode : Sound and Shot
– New Additions in Notification Centre
– Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface – Exactly like the Galaxy S4)
– Implementation of Voice controls (Let’s you control various parts of the phone using voice commands – Galaxy S4 feature)
– New Samsung Apps: Calculator, Clock, Contacts, Gallery, Music
– Full screen Samsung apps
– New S-Voice (from Galaxy S4)
- SanDisk's 200GB microSD card
- Will you buy M9 or S6?
- Gear VR: S6 + Edge edition
- Samsung Pay announced
- Check out the Samsung Galaxy S3 forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.