It’s December 1st and Google’s ready to serve up some new platform distribution numbers. Last time, we saw Android 2.0+ taking up a majority of the pie at 77% (Eclair with about 41% and Froyo with 36%), while 1.5 and 1.6 were still lingering around. This time, Froyo’s taken over the top spot with 43% while Eclair drops to 39.6% for a combined 82.6%. As for Cupcake and Donut, they’re still taking up 6.3% and 10.6%, respectively, which – combined – accounts for nearly 17%. The trend has been out with the old and in with the new – as it should be – but once 1.x is fully antiquated we’ll be wondering why everyone isn’t on 2.2, 2.3, and eventually, 3.0. [via Android Developers]
stars Popular this Weeklaunch
more_vertAllo due for release shortly?
We’re not sure what to make of this, but Allo is making some moves on Google Play. The app has started appearing in the New & Updated section of the Google Play Store, which could be a hint that a release is pretty close.
Some users have claimed that battery life has not improved with the release of Android Nougat. Now we want to know from you if you’ve been experiencing issues.
Samsung has just updated its ‘Good Lock’ application to include support for the Galaxy Note 7 and its iris scanner. The update also includes numerous annoying bug fixes that were submitted by the community.
After digging through the code of the latest Pokemon Go update, someone was able to find references to new items, trading, Legendaries and more. These could some of the first changes we see in future updates.
If this latest rumor is to be believed, Qualcomm will no longer support devices powered by the Snapdragon 800 or 801 processor, meaning devices with these processors will not receive Android Nougat.
more_vertChainfire warns about future of root
Chainfire is back at it again with his development chops. The man is creating a new app that serves one simple purpose: to allow root detection apps to run. The problem is even he isn’t convinced that it’s possibe to keep up down the line.
There’s a feature hiding inside of the recent Android 7.0 Nougat update that allows users to customize their navigation bar. Options include the ability to rearrange, adjust spacing, or add new buttons like a clipboard or keyboard keys. Yeah, it’s pretty flippin’ awesome.
more_vertBest Android Apps Sept 2016
The beaches are getting less crowded. RV’s are being put back in storage. Back-to-school sales can be found in every store. It’s a sad time of year. The good news is we had a bunch of great new Android apps launch in the last month.
more_vertNew Nexus Sailfish renders appear
We’ve seen enough of HTC’s Nexus Sailfish by now to get a pretty clear idea of what to expect in terms of looks. Still, new renders will always get us perky in the morning hours, and that’s exactly what we get today thanks to a new leak through Weibo.
more_vertDEAL: Galaxy Note 7 Alternative
The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is one of the Best Android Phones money can buy, but it’ll cost you a pretty penny – or more accurately, 90,000+ pretty pennies – to put one permanently in your pocket. But there are some great alternatives that won’t break the bank: here is one.