Over the past few years, we’ve started to see more apps gain the ability to switch between dark and light mode for their UI. This is useful because sometimes, some apps choose a UI that can be too glaring, especially in low-light settings which means that using it at night can be strenuous on your eyes.
Facebook’s app does lean towards a lighter/brighter theme by default, but the company has given users the option of going dark. If you don’t like the light theme in general regardless whether its day or night, here’s how you can force the Facebook app on Android to use the dark mode.
Force dark mode on Facebook for Android
- Launch the Facebook app on your Android phone
- Tap the three horizontal lines located towards the upper right corner of the app
- Tap on Settings & Privacy
- Tap on Settings
- Under Preferences, scroll down until you see Dark Mode
- Tap on Dark Mode
- Tap “On” to enable dark mode all the time
If you want to disable dark mode and go back to the default light UI that Facebook uses, follow the steps above and tap on “Off”. Alternatively, if you prefer that the app follow your system’s dark mode, you can choose the “Use system settings” option. This means that whenever your phone enters into dark/light mode, the app will follow suit.
The latter is a good choice if you don’t want to have to keep switching back and forth between either mode, but if you prefer dark mode all the time, then just follow the steps we outlined above.
- How to enable, disable, and schedule dark mode on Android
- How to use dark mode in Google Search on the desktop
- Google Search app finally gains dark mode support: here’s how to turn it on