When it comes to the smart home, the two big players are Amazon and Google with Alexa and Assistant. We’ve seen Apple try its hand with HomeKit, but there’s another option out there from Samsung. SmartThings is the company’s own platform designed to provide an alternative to the other options, even if you aren’t using a Samsung device.
Today, Samsung announced that it was completely overhauling its SmartThings app for Android and iOS with a fresh and new user interface. With the old SmartThings app, the focus was primarily put on the different rooms that products were assigned to. This time around, there are still different spaces, but it’s a bit different.
- Favorites is the new home screen within SmartThings and gathers the devices, scenes, and services used most for quicker access
- Devices lets users view and control all devices, connecting TVs, light bulbs, appliances, and more.
- Life is a place to explore the growing world of connected living where users can discover new SmartThings services that transform physical products into meaningful user experiences. Users can learn about enhanced functions that improve their overall living experience, such as SmartThings Cooking, a one-stop-shop that creates seamless kitchen and meal-prepping experiences.
- Automations connects devices and allows them to work together and respond to specific conditions in the home, such as a door opening and a light turning on.
- Menu will house additional SmartThings features including SmartThings Labs, Notifications, History, and Settings.
It’s kind of clear that Samsung is letting others do the heavy lifting when it comes to making smart home products while taking care of the SmartThings app. The company has ceased the development and creation of OEM hardware, instead, it’s opting to work with third parties for “SmartThings compatible” products.
But on the bright side, and even though it doesn’t manufacture its own products anymore, Samsung has committed to the new Matter smart home alliance. This is a new venture which includes the likes of Amazon, Apple, and Google, and aims to make the smart home easier to manage.
The new Samsung SmartThings app is available on the Google Play Store starting today. iOS users will have to wait a bit longer, as Samsung only stated that the Apple version “will follow shortly after.”