May 27th, 2009 publishUpdated   Sep 10th, 2021, 5:07 pm

adc2We just learned that the second Android Developer Challenge has been announced and folks are already clamoring for details. Of course, with Google IO in progress, the only thing exceeding the clamoring is the amount of awesome information being simultaneously bestowed upon developers.

Here is what you need to know about ADC 2:

  • Submissions begin in August
  • There are 10 categories to which you can submit your application and you can ONLY submit it to ONE category:
  1. Education/Reference
  2. Games: Casual/Puzzle
  3. Games: Arcade/Action
  4. Social Networking
  5. Lifestyle
  6. Productivity/Tools
  7. Media
  8. Entertainment
  9. Travel
  10. Misc
  • Users will decide the finalists by downloading an Android Application and rating randomly downloaded entries/applications
  • 200 total (10 from each category) will make the final rounds
  • Winners will also be chosen using consumer ratings with the Android Judging App but this time they will only make up 45% of the vote. The other 55% will be decided by Google selected judges.
  • Only new applications that have NEVER been released in any way/shape/form are eligible and applications from ADC1 cannot be re-entered.
  • Entries must be in English and work on Android 1.5 cupcake

Prizes:

  • Every Category: 1st prize: $100,000
  • Every Category: 2nd prize: $50,000
  • Every Category: 3rd prize: $25,000
  • Overall 1st prize: $150,000 (meaning the overall winner will receive $250,000)
  • Overall 2nd prize: $50,000 (meaning the 2nd prize winner will receive up to $150,000)
  • Overall 3rd prize: $25,000 (meaning the 3rd prize winner will receive up to $125,000)

Tentative Timeline (stressing tentative ahem ahem):

  • May 27 – Google I/O: ADC 2 announced
  • June: Full Terms and Conditions made available
  • August: submission site opens, developers submit apps
  • 2 weeks later: submission site closes
  • ADC2 client/scoring app goes up on Market; users begin reviewing apps
  • Mid October: first-round judging ends
  • Mid November: final judging ends, winners announced

One thing that is NOT addressed as of now – it will probably be made clear when the official rules are released – is whether developer’s can enter multiple applications into the contest. I would assume the answer is “Yes” as you would want to create an incentive for developer’s to develop and limiting them is counter productive. Although, I can see how focusing on quality rather than quantity might be a good thing.

We’ll let you know when the full terms and conditions come out but for now, I’ve covered pretty much everything in Google’s ADC2 announcement.