Happy Birthday, Google Play! It was two years ago that Google rebranded the Android Market to Google Play, and little did we know that it would take off to become what it is now. Not only are great apps and games made available from this vast repository of digital goodness, but you can also buy the latest Nexus devices, Google Play Experience devices, Chromecasts and accessories, books, movies, TV shows, music and so much more.
So what’s Google going to do to celebrate? They’re holding a sale, natch. Early evidence of a Google Play Store sale has trickled into the atmosphere, though it doesn’t appear things are quite ready for everyone just yet. Heading to this page should soon take us to a promo page, but for now it’s a dead link. Some folks at Reddit were able to catch which games and apps will be on sale, though. Here’s the list so far:
FIFA 14 is Free.
Disaster Movie is discounted to 99 cents
GQ Australia Magazine Subscription is 30% off
“Theme Park” By EA is Free
“I Came To Say Goodbye” the Book is $4.99 (looks like it hasn’t been discounted yet)
“Heroes of Dragon Age” By EA is Free
“Tiny City by Chillingo” International is Free
“Outback Dreams” the book is $4.99 (looks like it hasn’t been discounted yet)
“The Sims Free to Play” is ….. free
Taste.com.au magazine issue is $2.99
“Need for Speed” by EA is $5.49
“Vanity Fair the Movie” is $0.99
“Bejeweled Blitz” by EA is Free
“The Luminaries Book” has been discounted to $4.99
“13” The Movie is now $0.99
“Blurring Lines” the Book is $4.99
“Dungeon Keeper” by EA is free
“Super Food Ideas” Magazine is $1.99
“Dead Ahead Game” by Chillingo International is Free
“NBA Jam” is $5.49
We should note that a lot of the “free” stuff up there is normally free, and those games will likely come with deals on in-app purchases and consumables. Google will also have specific landing pages for books, movies and music. The following links are currently dead as far as we can tell, though we’re sure they’ll point somewhere relevant once this thing officially kicks off. Here’s what they’ll be serving up before too long:
- 24 hour music deal – https://play.google.com/store/music/collection/promotion_albums_2000529_birthday_deals_music
- Books under $5 – https://play.google.com/store/books/collection/promotion_100023e_books_birthday
- Movies from $3.50 – https://play.google.com/store/movies/collection/promotion_promotion_350est
- 30% off magazine subscriptions – https://play.google.com/store/newsstand/collection/promotion_6000273_subdealsau
We’re not sure what’s going on beyond that, but we have a feeling we’ll be finding out in the hours and days to come (Google Play’s official launch is billed as March 6th). We’ll be sure to keep you guys in the loop as we dig deeper.
- Google Play "Designed for Families"
- Google Play Store 5.4 immersive listings
- Google Play deals: handful of movies for $5
- Play Store update adds white Google Search bar
TAGS: Google Play