Ready for a new Chromebook option? The latest comes from Samsung, who has launched their second generation Chromebook for those looking for something a bit different (and cheaper) than typical notebook experiences. The Samsung Chromebook 2 will come in two sizes: one will stretch 11 inches at 1366 x 768, while the other is increased to about 13 inches and also comes with a 1920 x 1080 resolution.
The only other difference is only in price, with the smallest option slated for a $320 price point, and the bigger one coming in at just $80 more. So what are you getting for all those bucks?
- Octacore Exyno processor, the same one found in certain variants of the Samsung Galaxy S5 (1.9GHz for 11-inch, 2.1GHz for 13-inch
- 4GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage
- Bluetooth 4.0, 1x HDMI, 1x USB3.0, 1x USB 2.0, microSD multi-reader slot
- 8.5 hours of battery life and a 720p HD webcam
Also obvious is the new design language — they’ve gone with the same stitched fake-leather backing that we saw on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. It looks quite nice from where we’re sitting, though we’ll have to get our dirty paws on it to see how we like it in person.
Samsung’s also touting over $100 in premium services, including a year’s worth of premium membership to AirDroid for managing your Android device over-the-air, Wunderlist Pro for organizing your tasks, and LittleBridge.com for learning English.
While beautiful, powerful devices like the Chromebook Pixel are great for showcasing the sheer power of Chrome OS, it’s these more affordable options by the likes of Samsung that have helped push Chromebooks to the bit of growth it’s already seeing. The platform soared to the tune of owning 21% of notebook market share in 2013, which is no small feat.
Let’s hope even more of that growth is in-store for 2014, with other manufacturers hopefully jumping into the fold.It’s all headed our way this April, though Samsung didn’t have any solid date to offer just yet.
- Google announces new Chromebooks and Chromebi
- Smart Lock for Chromebooks
- 1TB of free Drive storage for new Chromebooks
- How To: Android apps in Chrome
TAGS: Chromebooks , Google Chrome OS , Samsung Chromebook 2