We had a feeling HTC would be facing a few legal hurdles if, as rumored, they decided to official name their upcoming HTC One successor as the “One+.” We discovered back in January that “One+” was a trademark already owned by former Oppo exec Pete Lau and his startup smartphone brand OnePlus. In fact, Lau caught onto this rumor pretty quick, publicly declaring on his Google+ page that he was confident about defending his legal rights. Ouch.
Today, @evleaks — who has brought us numerous leaks in the past — tweeted that HTC is now abandoning the One+ name, opting instead for the “The All New One.” Yeah, you heard right. Doesn’t roll off the tongue quite as nice, huh? He goes onto to leak the 3 colors the HTC All New One will launch in: grey, silver, and gold.
While we’re pretty excited at the prospect of being able to pick up the HTC All New One in the color of our choice, there’s gotta be something else going on with that name. Not to discount @evleaks’ info, but perhaps HTC is going for a simple HTC One 2014 (similar to what we saw Google do with the Nexus 7 2013).
Image credit: Hamdir
- Break the internet: Kim Kardashian stars in T
- Download: Facebook Lite for Android
- HTC One M8 decoy units hiding real design
- Big Android Meat and Greet
- Check out the HTC One forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.
- Check out the HTC M8 forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.
TAGS: HTC M8, HTC One, HTC One 2, HTC One Plus, HTC The All New One