Despite being the biggest and most successful, Samsung isn’t always the most vocal player in the game when it comes to discussing upgrades to new versions of Android. The company has yet to formally detail a list of devices that will be receiving Android 4.4 KitKat.
While anyone might have guessed that the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 might have been in line, a source close to the matter has confirmed to Phandroid that the following list of devices will be receiving the illustrious upgrade (devices in bold have already started to receive official rollouts):
- Samsung Galaxy Note 2 SGH-i317
- Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-i747
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 SM-t217a
- Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-i337
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Active SGH-i537
- Samsung Galaxy Mega SGH-i527
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom SM-c105a
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900a
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 SGH-i467
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini SM-g730a
As you can see, the Note 3’s rollout started late last month over in Poland, and should be heading to other regions as Samsung works out logistics and testing. As for the Samsung Galaxy S4, it was only this morning that Samsung began pushing out KitKat for users of the LTE-A variant over in South Korea.
Early reports of firmware from both the Galaxy S4 and Note 3 suggest Samsung didn’t change much in KitKat, though that’s because most of their significant upgrades came with the upgrade to Android 4.3 (which mainly enabled new camera features and Galaxy Gear compatibility). Users are treated to improved performance, though, as well as slight changes to Samsung’s UI which amount to little more than a couple of new icons.
Unfortunately, that’s about the length of our knowledge thus far. There’s no telling when, exactly, Samsung will look to push the upgrades out, nor do we know if they’re even close to being ready for public consumption.
More than anything, though, we’re just happy to know that devices dating back to 2012 are getting some love (especially considering a lot of other OEMs have already abandoned phones that only released just last year). We’ll be looking to dig up any information we can on the impending updates in the weeks (or months) to come.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 running Android 5.0 Lollipop [VIDEO]
- Android Lollipop on Galaxy S4
- Unlocked HTC One M8 receiving Android 4.4.4 + EYE Experience tomorrow
- HTC One M8 receiving Android 4.4.4 and EYE Experience in Europe
- Check out the Samsung Galaxy S3 forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.
- Check out the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.