We have very good reason to believe that the HTC Magic will be hitting T-Mobile USA rebranded with a different name. The FCC documents, the release calendar… you would call us idiots if we thought otherwise. But new information is suggesting the phone will NOT be called the T-Mobile G2 as previously speculated and widely assumed.
A participant in a T-Mobile customer survey took some screenshots of a very interesting question regarding the naming of a device that looks identical to the HTC Magic. They provided 4 different names and asked users to select the best one. The names are:
- T-Mobile G3
- T-Mobile myTouch 3G with Google
- Genius 3G with Google
- Prism 3G with Google
Here are 3 of the 4 slides from the survey inquiring about these names, according to the TMOnews tipster:
Notice that T-Mobile G2 isn’t one of the options. This could be for several reasons:
- Another Android device will come out on T-Mobile BEFORE the USA re-branded HTC Magic
- They decided to skip the G2 name altogether for one reason or another
- G2 sounds too much like 2G and dummies will assume it is older technology than the iPhone 3G
- The survey is fake
- T-Mobile is just feeling the “G#” naming structure out in general
If you ask me, I still think we’ll see the HTC Magic launch on T-Mobile USA as the T-Mobile G2. I’m not really sure why this customer survey poses this question without incuding the G2 but I’m sure this is a marketing researcher simply trying to cover all their bases and make sure the G# naming convention is the best fit.
But let me ask you a few questions while we’re at it:
- Which of the above 4 names do you like most?
- Do you like G2 better than all 4 proposed?
- Do you think it will launch as the G2, one of the above 4 names or something entirely different?
- Gear VR: S6 + Edge edition
- Samsung Pay announced
- Samsung Galaxy S6 vs Galaxy S5
- Samsung Galaxy S6 release date
- Check out the T-Mobile G2 forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.
TAGS: T-Mobile G2