WhatsApp has an online status indicator. The idea is that it lets you see when one of your contacts is online, but sometimes this feature can be abused. This is because sometimes, some people think that just because your status is online it means that you’re free to chat and that you should reply instantly.
We’ve all come across horror stories of people getting upset at other people who are online but don’t reply. There are reasons for this – a person could be online just to check messages but aren’t free to reply, and more importantly, no one is necessarily obligated to reply to your messages.
If you’d like to avoid these types of socially awkward situations, then hiding your online status might be a good idea, and here’s how.
Hide WhatsApp online status
- Launch WhatsApp
- Tap on the three vertical dots at the top right corner for Android, or tap the Settings tab on iOS
- Tap on Account
- Tap on Privacy
- Tap on Last Seen
- Now you can choose who can see your status. You can choose to show it to everyone, your contacts, your select contacts, or just choose to hide it from everybody
Keep in mind that when you hide your online status in WhatsApp, it also means that you won’t be able to see other people’s last seen status. It’s a fair solution because if you can hide, then others can hide too.
- How to view and share your WhatsApp QR code
- How to remove someone from a WhatsApp group chat
- How to export and restore your WhatsApp chat history
- How to make a WhatsApp group call
- How to change your WhatsApp phone number