Unlike some other messenger platforms that don’t necessarily require or link your account to a phone number, WhatsApp does. This means that if you change your phone number, people who try to message you via the old number will no longer be able to reach you.
Seeing as how we don’t necessarily change phone numbers all that often, this isn’t really an issue. But if you’re the type of person who does change numbers every so often, or wants to move their current WhatsApp account to a different number and you’re concerned about potentially losing your chats and contacts, don’t worry, here’s what you need to do.
Change your WhatsApp phone number
- Launch WhatsApp on your phone
- Tap on Settings
- Tap on Account > Change Number
- Tap Next
- You can now choose to inform your contacts that you have changed numbers. This will let your contacts update their phone book accordingly. Keep in mind that they’ll still be able to continue chatting with you, so this notification is more of a courtesy update
- Tap Done
- Enter your new phone number and tap Next
- You’ll receive a OTP via SMS to confirm that it is you
- Enter the 6-digit code and you’re done
The entire process is pretty quick and simple and you don’t really lose anything in the process. Like we said, your contacts will still be able to message you as long as you have an already-existing chat with them.
The main issue with changing your number is that for contacts who haven’t messaged you, they might not know and might not be able to reach you via WhatsApp using the old number. So if you’re running a business, you’ll definitely want to update your contact details ASAP in case customers try to reach you.