There’s a OnePlus 2 hiding underneath last year’s One
Adding fuel to the hype train that is the OnePlus 2, the folks at OnePlus held an AMA in Reddit’s r/Android to talk about the phone’s upcoming launch. Normally, you would think they’d be tight lipped on anything having to do with the phone itself, but OnePlus Co-founder Carl Pei and his team were surprisingly forthright, answering a good amount of questions thrown their way. So far, here’s what we know:
- Although the OnePlus 2 will be smaller than the original One, they’ve managed to include an even bigger 3,300mAh battery this time around. For proof, they posted the above photo of the OnePlus One with the 2 underneath.
- They didn’t give specifics, but OnePlus says the device’s camera was very important to them and has a few tricks that will set it apart from other devices.
- Charging cable will be longer than the one that came bundled with last year’s OnePlus One (thankfully).
- Although the OnePlus 2 will have USB Type-C, wireless charging isn’t likely (OnePlus said it wasn’t very convenient, but didn’t flat out deny anything).
- When asked if they left anything out, OnePlus confirmed that the phone will not have a heart rate sensor.
- When asked what they are most proud of with the upcoming OnePlus 2, co-founder Carl Pei say it’s the “design & build,” so expect a big step up from last year’s model.
- The original OnePlus One will still be available for sale after the launch of the OnePlus 2.
- OnePlus’ StyleSwap covers are supposedly “much much better” this time around (we’re guessing there will be more options among being easier to actually swap).
- There will be 2 variants of the OnePlus 2: one for the US and the other for Europe carrying the following frequency bands:
US GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/8 FDD-LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/7/8/12/17
Europe GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/5/8 FDD-LTE: Bands: 1/3/5/7/8/20
- The OnePlus 2 likely wont support T-Mobile WiFi Calling at launch, but that should arrive soon after via an over-the-air update.
- OnePlus doesn’t plan on selling their Cardboard VR units after the OnePlus 2 launch.
- The VR event for the OnePlus 2 will be available via an upcoming app.
- When asked about the invite process, OnePlus says their “early supporters” (aka those that already purchased the original OnePlus One) will be prioritized, but failed to go into further detail.
What do you guys think so far. Can you think of anything you’d like to see on the OnePlus 2 that might influence your decision on picking one up? Anything here you’re not happy about?