During their live “Premier” event at Madison Square Garden in New York, Samsung has officially unveiled their new line of Galaxy tablets: the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 and Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4. As you no doubt already figured out, the numbers designate their respective display sizes, coming in either 10.5-inch or 8.4-inch varieties.
Following Samsung’s current Galaxy S5 design language, the tabs feature a perforated faux leather back and will come in either black or white colors choices. Before we go any further, here are the easily digestible specs in bullet list form, straight from the horse’s mouth:
- 2560x1600p Super AMOLED display
- Samsung Exynos 5420 SoC (WiFi model), or Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 SoC (LTE model)
- 3GB RAM
- 16/32GB internal storage with micro SD card expansion slot (up to 128GB)
- 8MP rear and 2.1MP front facing cameras
- 7,900mAh battery
- Samsung’s Magazine UX software
- Fingerprint scanner (supports up to 8 different users)
- 6.6mm thin, 465g (10.5) or 294g (8.4)
One the software side of things, Samsung mentioned the tabs will feature a child-friendly “Kid mode” and connectivity with your Galaxy S5 that allows you to receive calls directly from the Tab S via a feature they’re calling “SideSync 3.0.” Samsung also announced partnerships with Netflix to bring full HD 1080p video streaming to the Tab S, along with Condé Nast for Vogue, GQ, Glamour, content, as well as National Geographic.
Marvel — who will include the Tab S in the upcoming Avengers: Age of Ultron movie — also announced that they’d be giving away a free 3 month subscription to Marvel Unlimited, along with Google Play with their free 90-day trial to Google Play Music All Access and free copy of Gravity for Play Movies & TV.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 WiFi model will be available this July for $500, or $400 for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, with pre-orders beginning June 13th. Samsung also announced accessories like their very own “Book Cover,” and the Logitech Type-S Bluetooth keyboard (pictured above for $99).
Our own Kevin Krause is reporting live from the show, so stay tuned for his hands-on to see the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.4 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 in action.
- AT&T begins Galaxy Tab S preorder
- Galaxy Tab S United States presales begin tom
- Hands on: Galaxy Tab S
- Logitech Type-S keyboard for Galaxy Tab S
- Check out the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.