Sony is launching a trio of unlocked smartphones here in the United States, sell unlocked versions of the Xperia S, Xperia P, and Xperia U through their own online store and retail partner Newegg.com. The phone’s are identical to the international releases of the same handsets and share such features as Sony’s Bravia-powered Reality Display and dual-core processing. The phones start at $299.99 for the lower-specced Xperia U and top out at $559.99 for the flagship Xperia S model. I between, the Xperia P is available for $479.99.
While the devices are not tied to any specific network, to take full advantage of their GSM connectivity they are best paired with an AT&T service plan. The phones should be compatible with T-Mobile’s network in limited areas. For all the details see the press release below.
Sony Mobile Communications Expands Smartphone Portfolio Bringing Xperia™ NXT Series to the US
Xperia™ NXT series launching as next generation smartphones from Sony Mobile includes Xperia S, Xperia P and Xperia U
- Xperia S offers an all-around HD experience
- Xperia P delivers outstanding screen brightness using Sony WhiteMagic(TM) display technology
- Xperia U packs powerful Sony entertainment in a stylish and compact design
What: To continue offering customers the best connected entertainment experiences, Sony Mobile Communications (USA), Inc. brings the next generation smartphones from Sony – Xperia NXT series – comprised of the Xperia S, Xperia P and Xperia U.
Incorporating the best of Sony technology and premium entertainment, the Xperia NXT series provide easy connectivity. These smartphones also have an instantly recognizable design with the “transparent element,” a band that encircles the base of the phone and also integrates invisible antenna components. The transparent element illuminates when receiving calls, texts and notifications.
Xperia S combines an amazing HD experience with an impressive viewing experience through the high resolution 4.3 inch display with Mobile BRAVIA® engine, a 12 MP camera that takes pictures in just 1.5 seconds from standby.
With a full aluminum unibody design, Xperia P debuts WhiteMagic™ display technology from Sony for the first time on a smartphone. WhiteMagic technology delivers the brightest viewing experience; whether at the beach or on the ski slopes. Smart power efficiency automatically adjusts the brightness of the screen to the surroundings to conserve battery life.
Xperia U combines powerful Sony entertainment with a stylish and compact design that consumers can personalize inside and out. In Xperia U, the transparent element illuminates to match the color of photos viewed in the gallery or the album art of music tracks currently playing. Xperia U can also be personalized with exchangeable color caps and themes. With xLoud and Sony 3D surround sound audio technology integrated into the music player, consumers will enjoy a crisp and loud sound experience. They can also stream music from their Xperia U to wireless speaks using DLNA.
Pricing & availability:
The Xperia NXT series is now available in the US at Sony stores nationwide and sony.com/NXT, Newegg.com and other online retailers. Please check with each retailer for additional pricing and availability.
- Xperia S – MSRP $559.99, unlocked, in black or white
- Xperia P – MSRP $479.99, unlocked, in silver, red or black
- Xperia U – MSRP $299.99, unlocked, in black or white
The Xperia™ NXT series are compatible with the network bands below.
- UMTS HSPA 850, 900, 1900, 2100
- GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900
- UMTS HSPA 850/900/1900/2100
- GSM GPRS EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
- UMTS HSPA 850/1900/2100
- GSM GPRS EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
- Sony begins Jelly Bean rollout for Xperia P,
- Sony releases AOSP for the Xperia Z, news reg
- First look at Jelly Bean for the Sony Xperia
- Sony provides updates on Xperia Jelly Bean pl
- Check out the Sony Xperia S forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.
- Check out the Sony Xperia U forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.