When I initially did my Motorola Droid Review, I experienced problems setting up my Yahoo E-Mail. Weird, especially considering my T-Mobile G1 set it up flawlessly over a year ago, only needing my user name and password to get things rolling. I’m not sure WHY there is a disconnect with Android 2.0 on the Motorola Droid but the fact is you CAN set up Yahoo Email on your Droid and it only takes a couple minutes:
[UPDATE: You do NOT need a Paid Yahoo Plus account for this to work... the example below is done with a FREE Yahoo Mail account:]
To set up Yahoo E-Mail on the Motorola Droid:
- Make sure Wi-Fi is turned off
- Press the E-Mail icon (the default Android E-Mail application)
- Enter your Yahoo E-Mail address and password
- Press “Manual Setup” in the lower left hand corner
- For “Incoming Server Settings” set the IMAP server to “imap.mail.yahoo.com” and the Port to 143
- For “Outgoing Server Settings” set the SMTP Server to “smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com” and the Port to 587
- Check “Require sign-in” and press Next
- Select how often your Droid will check for Email, and choose default options
- Give the account a name and set your display name for outgoing messages
Done and done. You’ve now got Yahoo Mail on your Motorola Droid and it will work with the all-new “Combined Inbox” in Android 2.0. Beautiful.
Have to give credit to Smilepak who shared this with AndroidForums.com members after posting it on his blog. In that same AF thread he has quick tuts on Droid screenshots, Lotus Notes Sync and iTunes sync. Wait – what? iTunes Sync? Oh man… this is going to require an article of its own!
Great stuff Smilepak!