In a potentially significant turn of events, Verizon Wireless – who has taken an opposition to Android thus far and seems to have fundamental differences with Google – is now hiring an Android Devices Expert to work Full-Time in their Waltham, Massachussets offices. The job listing is found publicly available on Careers.VerizonWireless.com with job ID 233333 and pointed out by an eagle-eyed Phandroid (Thanks Brian!) who has been persistently scoping any and all Verizon Android news.
According to the job listing, the position will be focused on developing Android applications on “existing or pre-commercial handsets” (whatever that means) with an initial focus on Voicemail applications. Looks like Verizon wants to get Visual Voice Mail working on their first Android Phone!
Here is the kicker – skills listed as “preferred” include experience with RIM JDK AND experience with Android. Why would an Android Devices Expert require knowledge in the RIM JDK… and why is it listed ABOVE experience with Android on a job position specifically targeting an Android expert? Could a BlackBerry Android Phone be headed to Verizon Wireless be in the works?
Ladies and gentlemen this is nothing short of HUGE news for Android, the entire mobile world and certainly Verizon Wireless customers. We knew that Verizon Wireless and AT&T would hold out on playing the Android game until they felt they had to play and conecede to the competitive advantage of Android’s Open Source platform. We argued that would happen soon rather than later almost a year ago and suggested they owe it to their customers and shareholders… this job posting is proving us right.
There is a LOT to discuss here folks. What does Verizon have cooking here? How is BlackBerry involved, if at all? Will it be a phone they are working on or some other device integrating Android? What is the timeframe here? Is this for Verizon Wireless’ proactive adoption of Android or part of the spectrum they won in the auction that is required to be “open” to some degree?
Discuss. This is going to be fun!
Here is a copy/paste of the job listing just in case it mysteriously disappears:
Job Title: Android Devices Expert
Job ID: 233333
Location: MA – Waltham
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
This is a senior specialist position for mobile devices on technical track. This position will work as subject matter expert and lead for Java based devices. It will be responsible for end to end delivery of innovative java based mobile applications on existing or pre-commercial handsets with an initial focus on voicemail applications. It is also expected to drive application development; conduct required testing and provides production support.
A qualified candidate will:
– Provide leadership to a team of designers and development engineers throughout the application development process
– Lead multi-departmental teams in an effort to deploy and integrate voicemail services on devices
– Manage relationships with device vendors and certification bodies, as well as internal marketing teams
40% It will be responsible for architecting device requirements and writing detailed device requirements specification, high and detailed level design documents
20% Interface with device OEMs and OS/platform developers to ensure compatibility and stability with regard to the voice products and applications.
20% Research and understand new devices technology, conduct code reviews, design and requirements sessions, quality assurance and manage vendors
20% Develop application prototype and framework for new devices
– BS degree in EE or CS. MS or MBA preferred
– 4+ years experience working with Core Java technologies
– 3+ years of mobile application development experience on j2me, Android, Limo or other java based platforms
– Hands-on experience XML, web services, XSLT
– Ability to compose technical specifications, including requirements specification, API specifications, Functional specifications
– Deep understanding of the mobile device industry and trends in mobile devices
– Strong business knowledge
– Vendor and outsourcing management experience
– Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, complete important time sensitive tasks, adapt quickly to last minute changes and manage multiple projects simultaneously
– Strong Facilitator
– Strong oral and written communication skills
– Good analytical skills
– Attention to details
– Familiar with Verizon wireless systems, data centers and processes a big plus
– Familiar with Web based technologies (DHTML/CSS, JSP/servlet/ASP, web servers, Tomcat/JBoss/Weblogic/WebSphere/IIS)
– Experience with RIM JDK is a big plus
– Experience with C++/C/.NET/ASP
– Experience with Android
– Experience working with Relational database and SQL
– Understanding in the following technical areas: memory management, file systems, networking, multi-threading programming
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer m/f/d/v.