Apple’s newest iPhones, iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus, went official earlier this month. These are premium devices and as is the case every year, these are priced on the expensive side of the price spectrum. It is one of the reasons many buyers opt for carrier-locked variants to avoid paying the full amount upfront.
If you are here reading this article, it means you own a carrier-locked iPhone and are looking to move to another carrier. It is also possible you are interested in buying a carrier-locked variant but want to know how to SIM unlock iPhone 14 before proceeding. Nevertheless, you have reached the right place as we have covered both free and paid SIM unlock methods.
iPhone 14 SIM unlocking prerequisites
While the SIM unlock process is pretty straightforward, there are a few things you need to take care of before proceeding ahead. The first thing to ensure is that there are no dues pending on the iPhone 14 you are interested in unlocking. If there is any amount that you need to pay to your carrier, it must be paid completely before the device can be unlocked.
You also need to own the iPhone 14 for a few days since buying it. The exact timeline differs from carrier to carrier but is usually within 60-90 days. If you meet these criteria, you are ready to proceed.
SIM unlock iPhone 14 for free
There are some carriers like Verizon which automatically unlocks your iPhone after 60 days of the purchase. Once this window is completed, you can insert a SIM from any other carrier and start using it. For many carriers, you will need to follow these steps:
- Open Settings on your iPhone 14.
- Tap General followed by About.
- Scroll down until you find the IMEI section. Note it down somewhere as you will need it.
- Call your carrier’s customer support number and raise a SIM unlock request.
- If you meet all criteria explained above, the customer rep should accept the request and send you SIM unlock code via email. It could take 2-5 days to arrive.
- Insert the SIM from another carrier in your iPhone 14 after receiving the code.
- Follow on-screen steps and enter the code when asked for. This should SIM unlock your iPhone 14 for free.
The process is a little different for T-Mobile users as they need to use the official unlock app from the carrier.
SIM unlock iPhone 14 via paid code:
There are various third-party tools that help with the SIM unlocking process in exchange for a little fee. The best part is that they let you unlock the device rather quickly. Android SIM Unlock is one such tool that does the job and we will use it for the purpose of this tutorial.
- Visit the Android SIM Unlock website and search for iPhone 14.
- On the device page, enter its IMEI number and your email address. You also need to enter the carrier’s name and country.
- The IMEI number can be found by visiting Settings > General > About > IMEI. You can also dial *#06# to get the number.
- Complete the checkout process by making the payment through your preferred method.
- Your SIM unlock code will be sent to you via SMS or email.
- Enter the SIM card from another carrier and follow the on-screen steps. Enter the unlock code when it tells you to.
- This should unlock your iPhone 14 instantly.
SIM unlock iPhone 14 on T-Mobile or Metro by T-Mobile
- Find your device’s IMEI number using the methods explained above.
- Find the T-Mobile Device Unlock or MetroPCS Device Unlock service for your phone.
- Enter the IMEI number and complete the checkout process.
- Wait for 1-3 days to receive an email that confirms that the unlocking process is complete.
- Enter the SIM from another carrier and launch the official Device Unlock app.
Tap Permanent Unlock to proceed and you should see the confirmation that your device is now fully unlocked.