Earlier this year, OnePlus launched its latest budget-friendly smartphone, the OnePlus Nord N20 5G. One of the appeals of the phone is that not only is it affordable, but it also comes with support for 5G, meaning that this handset is probably one of the cheaper 5G capable smartphones available in the market today.
Now, depending on where and how you bought your phone, you might have discovered that its SIM card is locked. This is especially true if you bought it directly from a carrier who typically locks the SIMs of their phones to prevent users from running away.
While we imagine that most people do not have that intention, the SIM locking is rather inconvenient especially if you need to swap out SIM cards. If you’re trying to unlock the SIM, the process is actually quite simple and straightforward and we’ll be listing a couple of different methods below you might want to check out.
Unlocking through your carrier
Unlocking through your carrier is the best solution since it is usually a free service that carriers sometimes offer to customers. There might be some requirements you’ll need to meet in order to qualify for a SIM unlock. This includes:
- You need to be in good standing with your carrier, meaning that you don’t have any outstanding bills and that the contract with your carrier for the phone has expired
- You’ll also need to make sure that you have owned the device for at least 60-90 days
These requirements will probably differ from carrier to carrier, so it’s always best to give them a call to make sure you’re eligible, but usually this is what you might be able to expect from most carriers. Assuming that you are eligible, then here’s what you need to do next:
- On your OnePlus Nord N20 5G handset, launch the Phone app and dial *#06# to pull up your phone’s IMEI number
- Write the IMEI number down somewhere so you can refer to it later
- Call your carrier and request for your SIM unlock code
- You will probably be asked to provide the IMEI for the OnePlus Nord N20 5G
- If you meet all the requirements that we mentioned above, the SIM unlock code will be sent to the email address you provided in the next 2-5 days.
- Once you’ve received your code, swap out the SIM with a SIM from another carrier
- Enter the SIM unlock code that you received in your email when prompted and you’re set!
Getting the unlock code from a paid third-party service
If there is a chance that if you don’t meet the eligibility requirements set by your carrier, they won’t be able to unlock your phone’s SIM for you, but don’t worry, that’s what services like Android SIM Unlock are for. You’ll have to pay a bit, but you’ll still be able to SIM unlock your phone even if your carrier won’t do it for you.
- On your OnePlus Nord N20 5G handset, launch the Phone app and dial *#06# to get the device’s IMEI number
- Write the IMEI number down
- Go to Android SIM Unlock’s website
- Enter your device’s IMEI number
- Complete the checkout process with your payment and contact information
- Once payment is made, you should then receive the OnePlus Nord N20 5G’s unlock code either through SMS or email
- The moment you’ve received your code, you can then swap out the SIM on your phone with a SIM from another carrier
- You should be prompted to enter the SIM unlock code that you received in your email, and once you’ve done that, you should be good to go
Keep in mind that unlocking the SIM of your OnePlus Nord N20 5G does not release you from any contractual obligations you might have with your carrier. You will still need to pay your bills and monthly installments as per your contract, but the difference here now is that you can easily swap out SIM cards which might be useful if you’re traveling overseas.