While the new OnePlus 9 Pro has an impressive camera system, how does the regular OnePlus 9 fair when matched up against the iPhone 12? Now, the iPhone 12 isn’t exactly the best of what Apple has to offer in terms of photography, but it is still quite a popular smartphone and likely the one most people will buy if photography isn’t the most important factor for them when buying an iPhone. The same goes for the OnePlus 9 – it’s a well-rounded device that doesn’t go overboard on its camera hardware.
Now, if you’re simply looking at the specs of these two smartphones, the OnePlus 9 may look like it has the upper hand. For its rear cameras, the PenPlus 9 comes out ahead, especially with its ultrawide camera which features a top-of-the-line Sony IMX766 sensor that can taker much better shots than what the iPhone 12’s ultrawide camera manages and that’s before you factor in low-light performance.
- OnePlus 9 Pro versus Galaxy S21 Ultra camera comparison: pure disappointment
- OnePlus 9 Pro versus iPhone 12 camera comparison
That being said, the iPhone 12’s selfie camera outclasses that of the OnePlus 9 with its 12MP sensor that can capture 4k video at 30fps while the 16MP sensor on the OnePlus 9 only delivers 1080p video with pretty poor low-light performance.
To get an idea of how the cameras of these two smartphones perform, take a look at the video and gallery below to see side-by-side photo and video comparisons in a variety of different lighting conditions.
OnePlus 9 versus iPhone 12 camera specifications
- 48MP, EIS, f/1.8, 1.12 μm (main)
- 50MP, f/2.2, freeform lens (ultra-wide)
- 2MP (monochrome)
- 16 MP, f/2.4, (selfie)
- Video: 8k@30 (main), 4k@60 (rear), 1080p@60 (seflie)
- 12 MP, f/1.6, 26mm (wide), 1.4µm, dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.4, 120˚, 13mm (ultrawide), 1/3.6″
- Selfie: 12 MP, f/2.2, 23mm (wide), 1/3.6″
- Video: 4K@24/30/60fps (main), 4K@30 (selfie)