Last year’s Motorola Skip may not have been the “must have” smartphone accessory of the year, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t pretty damn cool in theory. An NFC clip that allowed users to tap to unlock their smartphones, it was convenient enough that someone could find a use for it (but not enough that everyone would want one).
Following up on last year’s design, Motorola is preparing to give it another go with a newly design model for 2014. Outed in an FCC filing, the newly designed Moto Skip actually comes equipped with Bluetooth, taking its convenience to another level. Not only can the new Skip be attached to keys and beep when misplaced (works the other way around too in case you misplace your phone), your Motorola smartphone can actually detect when it’s in close proximity to Skip, allowing you to bypass any sort of normal lockscreen security you may have on your phone.
Here’s the full feature list according to the FCC docs followed by some screenshots of the user manual:
- Find your keys: Attack Skip to your key ring and never lose your keys. Use the Moto app on your phone to make Skip beep if you lose it, or find it on a map with the last known location.
- Find your phone: Double-press Skip’s Power button to make your phone ring.
- Keep your phone unlocked: Keep your Motorola phone unlocked and ready to use as long as Skip is nearby. Forget about having to entire your password at home, in the office, or on the go.
Note: This feature works with Motorola phones only.
Keep in mind the proximity unlock functionality will only work with Motorola smartphones and because the new Skip is always-on, the device features a tiny battery that will need to be replaced regularly (about once a year with normal use). Of course, real world battery life remains to be seen.
Also, the Skip is not water/dust proof, so you might want to leave it in the car if you plan on hitting the beach. We should learn more about the Skip come September 4th during Motorola’s event in Chicago.
- Sony Xperia Z4 FCC certification confirms hardware
- Official Tomb Raider I now available on Android
- LG G Flex 2 Review
- Pick up a discounted Moto X (2nd Gen) for onl
TAGS: Moto Skip , Motorola Moto Skip