Just a quick heads up in case you aren’t a Reddit dweller — someone over in those parts has the Nexus 5. Whoever the lucky soul is, they were nice enough to snap a ton of pics for us to sink our teeth into ahead of what could be a big unveiling later today. Sources suggest Google will be launching the device (as well as announcing the latest version of Android — KitKat 4.4) at noon pacific today.
While we are not interested in believing those rumors, that won’t keep us from peeling our eyes and looking out for any official news that might eek out of Mountain View today.
So what do we learn from this little escapade that Reddit user throwawaynexus5guy has gone on this morning? A good deal, actually:
- Hangouts with SMS was pre-loaded onto the device
- There is a complete backup solution built-in — think iCloud, except for Android.
- In response to a question about always-on voice controls (Moto X), the leakster simply smiled :)
- The leakster said it was as smooth as smooth can be. Android 4.3 is already pretty smooth on the aging Nexus 4, so we wouldn’t expect anything less here. Note that rumors are saying Android 4.4 has been designed to be able to work smoothly on even the weakest of hardware.
- They said it doesn’t feel cheap “like a Samsung phone.” Their words, not ours.
- There will be a Google Drive offer for 100GB of storage, which makes Drive the likely candidate for the built-in backup.
- Battery life? 17 hours talk time, 8 hours web surfing, 6 hours of video watching, according to one engineer.
- Camera is an improvement over Nexus 4, but nothing like the jump from iPhone 5 to iPhone 5S.
- Speakers sounded really good, clear and loud.
- It doesn’t taste like a KitKat bar.
That’s all we could gather from the questions posted so far, and there’s a chance that many more could be answered in the hours to come. Be sure to sink your teeth into all of it over at the Reddit thread here, and stay tuned to Phandroid as we’ll be on top of the news as it happens (if it happens).