A few weeks back we saw a listing pop up on Amazon from case manufacturer Spigen where they were advertising screen protectors for the upcoming Nexus 5. Little more than a placeholder, the listing featured a generic image of a device that would later be updated with an actual render of the Nexus 5 — you know, once it was officially announced. Today, Spigen is back, this time teasing their Neo Hybrid case for the Nexus 5, renders and all.
It’s not uncommon for case manufacturers to receive dummy units or “CAD files” for upcoming devices prior to launch. We’ve been told this is typically done roughly 2-4 weeks in advance of a device’s release (sometimes even 6). After talking to another popular case manufacturer, they’ve also completed their own cases for the Nexus 5 and will be available to ship shortly.
Really, this teaser doesn’t give us any real clues as to when the Nexus 5 might release. Just know that before it does, you’ll already have plenty of 3rd party case options lined up.
- Hands-on: Android 5.0 Lollipop
- Android 5.0 Lollipop has a new screen off animation
- New Nexus 5 homepage suggests the phone will stick around for another year
- Nexus phones out of stock
- Check out the Nexus 5 forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.