Well, I didn’t see this coming. Right before I was about to turn in for the evening HTC announces via their blog that they have a special surprise for those enticed by the cutting edge hardware of the upcoming HTC One, but just can’t live without their CM, AOKP, and Paranoid Androids.
Yup, you guessed it. HTC will be releasing a special “Developer Edition” of the HTC One for those that like to tinker around with the software on their device. The HTC One Developer Edition will be sold for $650 and will only be made available in US markets, only in the 64GB version, and in limited quantities. Here’s what we can look forward to:
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor
- 2 GB RAM
- 64 GB of storage
- SIM and bootloader unlocked
- Open APIs for Bluetooth Low Energy, Infrared, and more
- Front-facing stereo speakers
- Two dual-membrane microphones for recording
- Multiple frequency compatibility:
- HSPA/WCDMA: 850/1900/2100 MHz
- GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- LTE: 700/850/AWS/1900 MHz (US)
HTC says you’ll have to wait until the first One drops officially from a US carrier before they’ll be made available for purchase. I was already planning on purchasing the international One for use on Straight Talk (AT&T sans the LTE) but it looks like I’ll be picking up this one instead. We’ll keep you posted on future availability.