Sony has done an excellent job keeping Xperia users up to date on the progress of delivering timely Android updates as of late, but with such transparency does not always come good news. While the majority of Sony’s 2011 and 2012 lineup should see Ice Cream Sandwich sooner or later, a rep on the company’s UK Facebook page confirmed that there are no plans to bring Jelly Bean to older handsets. Namely, the Xperia Mini Pro and Xperia Arc S, the latter of which ranks as one of Sony’s highest-specced handsets of 2011, casting doubt as to whether or not any phones from the manufacturer released last year will see Android 4.1.
If there is any silver lining to the announcement, the same rep confirmed that Ice Cream Sandwich was recently finalized for the Sony Xperia S, so an update to the relatively new handset should be coming shortly. But so as not to get people too excited, it was also revealed that there has been no progress on a Jelly Bean update for the Xperia S at this time.
- Google Search testing Chat feature for businesses
- Nexus 6 launching March 12th with VoLTE baked in
- Moto 360 coming to Moto Maker in March
- Samsung debuts 128GB UFS storage
- Check out the Sony Xperia S forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.