We told you folks that Verizon doesn’t like to drum up much official noise leading to the release of a sequel device and that they liked to release devices on Thursdays, traditionally. A quick trip to VerizonWireless.com shows me that the Motorola DROID 3 is indeed available.
It was listed on their site as early as last night, but there was no real way to buy it. You could get in on the device via telesales at this point, but you should now be able to purchase one online. As for in-store, all we’re hearing is direct fulfillment, meaning you may have to wait a bit (July 14th) to check one out in person.
The specs are all what we expected – a 4-inch qHD display, a 1GHz dual-core processor (we believe it’s OMAP4, but they haven’t confirmed), 16GB of internal storage, a 5-row QWERTY keyboard, Android 2.3 and GSM radios for global use.
Remember that today marks the start of new usage-based data plans for Verizon so if you’re coming from a different carrier or if this is your first smartphone, you’ll be subject to those rates instead of the unlimited data that we hold so dear to our hearts.
Things should be picking up soon at the DROID 3 section of AndroidForums.com so keep your eye on it for interesting discussion and energetic “I got it!!1!” posts in the coming days and weeks. Head over to Verizon Wireless to purchase this thing for $200 ($460 outright). You’ll be able to get it in stores July 14th. Press details are below.
Verizon Wireless Introduces the Next Generation Droid Delivering Power and Performance: The Droid 3 by Motorola
Full keyboard, no compromises; DROID 3 by Motorola available online today
July 07, 2011
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., and LIBERTYVILLE, Ill. – July 7, 2011 – Verizon Wireless and Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE: MMI), today announced the new Android™-powered DROID 3 by Motorola, a global smartphone that delivers power for work and play without making compromises.
DROID 3 by Motorola is the world’s thinnest full QWERTY smartphone, and still delivers the power of a dual-core 1 GHz processor for fast multi-tasking. Customers can take stunning photos with the 8-megapixel camera or capture the moment in 1080p HD video. Equipped with Android 2.3, the DROID 3 by Motorola features a brilliant 4-inch qHD display, a roomy 5-row QWERTY keyboard and 3G Mobile Hotspot capabilities, with the ability to connect up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices. DROID 3 by Motorola delivers the power needed to conquer the day whether customers are at home, work or somewhere in between.
- Powered by Android™ 2.3 Gingerbread
- Mirror mode allows you to view and share photos, videos and movies on a larger TV via HDMI output (requires HDMI cable)
- Global ready, allowing customers to enjoy wireless voice and data service in more than 200 countries, including more than 125 with 3G speeds
- Enterprise ready with advanced security policies, device and SD card encryption, complex password support, remote data wipe of device and SD card; document and presentation viewing and editing with Quickoffice®
- Citrix® GoToMeeting® for Android, gives users the ability to attend online meetings while on-the-go, and Citrix Receiver® for Android, a universal software client that allows companies to deliver corporate apps, desktops and data to any corporate- or employee-owned device
- ESP smart dock technology for a tailored experience based on whether DROID 3 is docked in home, office or car settings
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10
- Front-facing camera for still shots and video chat
- Video playback in 1080p HD in mirror mode
Pricing and availability:
- DROID 3 by Motorola is now available online at www.verizonwireless.com, and will be available in Verizon Wireless Communication Stores by July 14 for $199.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
- Customers that purchase a DROID 3 will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan and a smartphone data package. New Verizon Wireless customers will have the option of smartphone plans starting at $30 for 2GB of data. Current Verizon Wireless smartphone customers who are upgrading their smartphone can keep their current data plan.
For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest, most advanced 4G network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 104 million total wireless connections, including more than 88 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library atwww.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.