With yesterday’s announcement that Sony Ericsson (and 13 others) joined the Open Handset Alliance, it was obvious they would be working on an Android Phone for 2009 release. We have learned that the first Sony Ericsson Android Phone will be a high-end handset tentatively set for the summer of 2009.
- We expect initially to focus on products in the higher segment, but later on we will also supplement with products for the broad mass market, “said Sony Ericsson’s spokesman, Garfield Brusewitz.
- The first Androidtelefonerna from Sony Ericsson is expected to show up for the summer.
At least now we know how long we have to wait and hopefully Sony Ericsson can stay on track. Phandroids are craving more Androids!
As if that wasn’t enough, the news out of HTC – makers of the T-Mobile G1 among other amazingly hot handsets – seems it will ALSO have offerings in the summer of 2009!
Another Danish news source, Business.dk, talks about how the first Android Phones will hit Denmark in 2009. But after translation to English, check out some of these crazy comments from an HTC exec Peter Frølund:
- Yes, we come with one or more Android-products by the summer of 2009…
- “I can say that we are working with a portfolio of models, and, yes, the ambition is that the phone comes with a Danish software,”
Products? PORTFOLIO? Oh wow although we don’t know exactly what this means it sounds big. If they are working with a portfolio of products that certainly sounds like they’ll have the OPPORTUNITY to push out more than 1 or 2 Android Phones. ONE of these is likely the T-Mobile G1 with localized OS for the Danish language, you could guess/assume. But it sounds like HTC has more than just another G1 in the works.
Save up those vacation days if they carry over fiscal/calendar years and get ready to block off your entire Summer of 2009. It sounds like its shaping up to be the Summer of Android. Don’t worry… we’ll do our best to bring you the low down on the show down well before then!
- Good2Go is a consensual sex app for Android
- Nexus 6 wood carved mockup sized against Nexus 4 and 7
- Verizon offers double data deal
- Nexus 6 in the wild