Back in 2022, ZTE launched its flagship phone for the year in the form of the ZTE Axon 40 Ultra. It is indeed a very impressive handset and came with everything you might need of a flagship phone, which included the use of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chipset, a set of awesome cameras on the back, and the use of an in-display front-facing camera and fingerprint sensor.
It also utilized a curved display design that we haven’t seen in a while, which was pretty unique and kind of refreshing.
Now, as expected of a flagship phone, it does not come cheap and even today, it is still priced at $900 for the top of the line configuration with 12GB of RAM and 256GB of storage. If you bought the phone through a carrier in order to help split up the payments, we get it, but it also means that there is a chance the phone’s SIM could be locked to your carrier.
The good news is in this guide, we’ll show you a couple of different ways to unlock the SIM so that you can use it with another carrier or when you’re traveling overseas, so read on to find out out.
Unlock the Axon 40 Ultra for free
One of the ways to unlock the SIM of your Axon 40 Ultra is to actually go through your carrier. This is a great choice because generally speaking, carriers will unlock your SIM for free if you meet the requirements below:
- You need to be in good standing with your carrier, meaning that you don’t have any outstanding bills and that the contract with your carrier for the phone has expired
- You’ll also need to make sure that you have owned the device for at least 60-90 days
Keep in mind that depending on your carrier, their requirements might be different from another carrier, so your best bet would be to give them a call and see what they need from you in order to unlock the SIM on your phone. Assuming that you do meet all the requirements, then this is what you need to do:
- On your ZTE Axon 40 Ultra handset, launch the Phone app and dial *#06# to pull up your phone’s IMEI number
- Write the IMEI number down somewhere so you can refer to it later
- Call your carrier and request for your SIM unlock code
- You will probably be asked to provide the IMEI for the ZTE Axon 40 Ultra’s
- If you meet all the requirements that we mentioned above, the SIM unlock code will be sent to the email address you provided in the next 2-5 days.
- Once you’ve received your code, swap out the SIM with a SIM from another carrier
- Enter the SIM unlock code that you received in your email when prompted and you’re set!
Android SIM Unlock
Seeing as how the Axon 40 Ultra is still less than a year old, there is a chance that your carrier may not unlock the SIM of your phone since most contracts run for 24 months. If you do need its SIM unlocked because you’re planning to travel, then you might want to take a look at Android SIM Unlock’s services, which is a paid service so do keep that in mind.
- On your ZTE Axon 40 Ultra phone, launch the Phone app and dial *#06# to get the device’s IMEI number
- Write the IMEI number down
- Go to Android SIM Unlock’s website
- Enter your device’s IMEI number
- Complete the checkout process with your payment and contact information
- Once payment is made, you should then receive the ZTE Axon 40 Ultra’s unlock code either through SMS or email
- The moment you’ve received your code, you can then swap out the SIM on your phone with a SIM from another carrier
- You should be prompted to enter the SIM unlock code that you received in your email, and once you’ve done that, you should be good to go
Once your SIM is unlocked, you’ll be able to take out your current SIM and put in a new SIM from a different carrier. This is perfect for travel where buying a local SIM is cheaper and more convenient than having to pay for roaming charges, which can get pretty expensive the more you use it.
Unlocking the SIM also does not free you up from any obligations you might have with your carrier. You’ll still be expected to continue making your repayments (if any) and you’ll have to pay whatever bills that come your way.
Note: this article may contain affiliate links that help support our authors and keep the Phandroid servers running.