A while back, Google announced that it will soon move reminders from the Google Calendar and Assistant apps to Google tasks, to create a more unified experience for users. While this change was first announced back in September, the actual implementation is set to take place this year, starting in March.
A migration prompt will be sent to personal user accounts on March 6, 2023, while end users for Google Workspace customers (with the Tasks service ON in their respective organizations) voluntarily migrate beginning April 12, 2023. With this change, app users can create tasks from Calendar and Assistant, similar to how the previous Reminders system worked.
Additionally, users will be able to create tasks from other Google Workspace apps like Gmail, Docs and Chat, or directly from the Tasks app. Google also shared some handy pointers regarding the upcoming migration:
For Google Workspace Admins:
- Verify that theTasks service is ON for your organization. If the Tasks service is OFF, any Reminders data will not be migrated to Tasks, and Reminders data deletion will be initiated after June 22, 2023.
- Enable your organization to use Google Takeout, in case your users want to export their Assistant and Calendar Reminders.
- If your end users want to use Assistant to manage tasks after the migration, be sure to adjust settings forSearch and Assistant users.For users with work or school accounts:
- You’ll see a prompt in Assistant and Calendar to move reminders created in these apps to Tasks beginning on April 12, 2023.
- If you want a copy of your reminders data and Takeout is enabled for your organization,export your Reminders databefore June 22, 2023.For users with personal accounts:
- You’ll see a prompt in Assistant and Calendar to move reminders created in these apps to Tasks beginning on March 6, 2023.
- If you haven’t already migrated, Assistant and Calendar reminders will begin to automatically migrate in Q2. We’ll share more information on this timeline in a future update on the Workspace Updates blog.