Now that the Galaxy S22 Ultra is getting to the hands of many here in the U.S., it’s time to start looking elsewhere for the “next big thing”. Oppo might have just thing for those phone enthusiasts as the company has introduced its 2022 flagship lineup with the Oppo Find X5 and Oppo Find X5 Pro.
Last year, the Find X3 Pro was largely considered one of the best flagship phones to be released all year and made those of us here in the States lust a bit after it. Oppo is back again, turning heads and impressing potential owners on pretty much every level imaginable. But before jumping into the Find X5 Pro, let’s take a closer look at the “normal” Find X5.
Oppo Find X5
- Display: 6.55-inch OLED (2400 x 1080)
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 w/ MariSilicon X NPU
- RAM: 8GB
- Storage: 128GB
- Front Camera: 32MP IMX615
- Rear Cameras: 50MP IMX766, OIS, f/1.8 (wide) / 50MP, f/2.2, 110-degree FoV (ultra-wide) / 13MP, S5K3M5, f/2.4, 52mm focal length (telephoto)
- Battery: 4,800mAh
- Software: ColorOS 12.1 (based on Android 12)
- Extras: 120Hz Refresh Rate / 80W SuperVOOC Wired Charging / 30W AirVOOC Wireless Charging / Multi-tier Cooling System / Under-display Fingerprint Scanner
When it comes to the Find X5, you’re getting just about what you would expect from an entry-level flagship, with a few added bonuses. The phone is powered by the Snapdragon 888, the same chipset found in last year’s Find X3 Pro, while sporting a gorgeous 6.55-inch OLED display complete with a fast 120Hz refresh rate. Oppo is only offering a single configuration this time around (and actually for both devices), as you’ll only have the ability to get 8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage.
Hidden in the top left corner of the Find X5 is a 32MP camera that uses the Sony IMX615 sensor. On the back of the phone, we have a triple camera array with dual 50MP Sony IMX766 lenses and a 13MP telephoto sensor with a 52mm focal length. In fact, aside from the selfie camera, Oppo is bringing the same triple camera array to both offerings in the Find X5 lineup.
As it continues to attempt to push the limits of mobile photography, Oppo’s custom-designed MariSilicon X NPU is also found on both of these devices. This NPU is designed on the 6nm process and is specifically meant to provide “top-tier imaging performance”, as the Find X5 and Find X5 Pro are now capable of recording 4K Night Video, something that we haven’t even seen from the likes of Samsung. According to Oppo, the integration of the MariSilicon X will provide 4x better HDR video recording, while offering “real-time RAW processing” without forcing the users to deal with any compression.
Other features of the Find X5 include a sizable 4,800mAh battery complete with Oppo’s 80W SuperVOOC wired charging. The company claims this will get your phone from 0-50% in less than 15 minutes. And if you’re more of a fan of wireless charging, the Find X5 takes advantage of 30W AirVOOC charging speeds, provided that you are using a compatible wireless charger.
Oppo Find X5 Pro
- Display: 6.7-inch AMOLED LTPO (3216 x 1440)
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 w/ MariSilicon X NPU
- RAM: 12GB
- Storage: 256GB
- Front Camera: 32MP IMX709
- Rear Cameras: 50MP IMX766, OIS, f/1.7 (wide) / 50MP, f/2.2, 110-degree FoV (ultra-wide) / 13MP, S5K3M5, f/2.4, 52mm focal length (telephoto)
- Battery: 5,000mAh
- Software: ColorOS 12.1 (based on Android 12)
- IP Rating: IP68
- Extras: 120Hz Dynamic Refresh Rate / 1000Hz Touch Sampling Rate / 80W SuperVOOC Wired Charging / 50W AirVOOC Wireless Charging / Multi-tier Cooling System / Under-display Fingerprint Scanner
On paper, many of the specs between the Find X5 and Find X5 Pro are the same. However, there are actually quite a few differences between these two phones and it all starts with the display. You’ll enjoy a larger 6.7-inch AMOLED LTPO display with a WQHD+ resolution and a dynamic 120Hz refresh rate along with an incredible 1000Hz touch-sampling rate, making this quite a formidable option even for mobile gamers.
As expected, Oppo steps things up with the processing power, as we have the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 CPU paired with 12GB of RAM and 256GB of onboard storage. We mentioned this previously, but the Find X5 Pro will only be available in a single configuration at launch.
Another area where Oppo upped the ante is in the battery and charging department thanks to the larger 5,000mAh cell. 80W SuperVOOC is still here, so you can get juiced up faster than ever, but Oppo is also introducing its all-new 50W AirVOOC charging capabilities. Oppo claims that using AirVOOC will provide a 100% charge in just 47 minutes, so needless to say, we’re excited to put that to the test.
It should come as no surprise that Oppo and Hasselblad are partnering up with the Find X5 Pro. Along with bringing Natural Color Calibration, the companies have also co-created a series of “Master Filters” that will instantly improve the look of your pictures. The color tuning, paired with the flagship camera hardware and MariSilicon X NPU make us feel like Google and Samsung might have a bit to worry about.
Prices and availability
- The OPPO Find X5 Pro will be available from March 14 priced at €1299.
- The OPPO Find X5 will be available from March 14 priced at €999.
Pre-orders of OPPO Find X5 Series start from February 24.