Shortly after Google announced its Pixel Feature Drop for the month of December, the folks over at Droid Life found that there’s a major update coming to the Pixel Buds A-Series. In said Feature Drop, Google stated that the Pixel Buds A-Series would be receiving more customizability when it comes to the bass controls. However, the update itself is much more robust than we originally anticipated.
In a post on the Pixel Buds Help Forums, three new features were detailed, including the aforementioned bass changes:
- Customize your bass: With any Android 6.0+ device, you can open the Pixel Buds app and use the slider to adjust bass from -1 to +4, giving you twice the bass range you have now. You can quickly adjust to increase the bass level by 4 levels with options of multiple magnitudes, or decrease the bass level compared to the current default setting.
- Loudness compensation: Improve bass and treble at lower volume levels with a toggle on or off in the Sound Settings.
- Improved device switching: Pixel Buds A-Series will search and connect to the second to last connected device when undocked from the charging case, if the last connected host device is unavailable.
According to the post, your Pixel Buds A-Series will be updated to firmware version 282. And after the update has been installed, you’ll need to “grant the “Nearby devices” permission.” The update is said to be arriving “over the coming days”, and also includes additional “bug fixes and stability improvements.”
Owners of the Pixel Buds A-Series who want to check to see if the update has arrived for them can follow these steps:
- Put your earbuds into the case.
- Leave the lid of the case open.
- From your Pixel device, open the Settings app and select Connected devices.
- Tap the Gear icon next to the Pixel Bud’s settings.
- Scroll down and tap More settings.
- Tap Firmware update.
- Tap Update available.
- Follow the on screen instructions.
The process for updating will take around 15 minutes, but then you’ll have access to all of Google’s latest features for the Pixel Buds A-Series.