Samsung has been in the midst of a fever-pitch as the company has been rapidly updating many of its devices to Android 11 via One UI 3. Then, a seemingly incremental update was then pushed to flagship handsets with One UI 3.1, bringing some of the best features of the Galaxy S21 to devices released in 2020.
One device that was included in this batch of recent updates was the Galaxy Z Fold 2. This is the company’s flagship foldable, and the Z Fold 3 is poised to replace the Galaxy Note line whenever it launches this year. But as for this new software update, Samsung detailed some of the new changes and features that you can take advantage of.
In our Verizon Z Fold 2, we have already received the update, with the description revealing the following changes:
- Single Take – Shot Customization – Customize what shots to capture when using Single Take for pictures.
- Eye Comfort Shield – Automatically adjusts your display’s colors based on the time of day to limit blue light emission.
- Game Booster – Priority Mode – Use Priority Mode in Game Booster to block incoming calls and notifications. Also optimizes your network connection and processor power for your games.
- Video Call Enhancements – Third-party apps, such as Google Duo, now support HDRY, beauty features, and improved low-light quality.
- Wireless DeX – Download the DeX app on your PC and connect to the same Wi-Fi network to start using DeX with the Galaxy Z Fold 2.
- Galaxy Buds – Seamless Earbud Connection – When logged into the same Samsung account on multiple devices, your Galaxy Buds can switch between devices without being disconnected or need to put them in pairing mode.
But the fun doesn’t stop there for those who have updated the Galaxy Z Fold 2 to Samsung’s One UI 3.1. The update includes a slew of new features to make the Z Fold 2 even more useful when it comes to multi-tasking.
Multi-Active Window Improvements in One UI 3.1
With One UI 3.1, Z Fold 2 owners can have up to three apps open at the same time with Multi-Active Windows. Previously, if you wanted to switch to another app via the multi-tasking panel, those three apps would be split, so you would have to reactivate Multi-Active Windows again. Now, all three apps will be grouped together, and remain that way even when bringing up the Recents Tab.
Have you ever been browsing the web, or looking at something on your phone, only to see a message come through, but don’t want to just close out the current app? One UI 3.1 brings the ability to drag and drop a message from your notification shade and create a Multi-Active Window scenario in just a few moments. This is huge and is arguably the most exciting new feature to come to the Z Fold 2 since its release.
Other new features for the Z Fold 2
Although the power button is placed on the side and is amazing to use, it can still be cumbersome or annoying to press just when you want to turn the screen off. One UI 3.1 brings the ability to enable ‘Palm touch’ which allows you to simply rest your palm over either the Cover display or Main Screen, and it will be put to sleep. And if you don’t want to use your whole hand, there’s a new double-tap feature that also puts your phone to sleep without ever pressing the power button.
Flex Mode is one of the most unique features that we’ve ever seen in a camera app, and the Z Fold 2 gets a few additional enhancements to improve the experience. When using Flex Mode, you can customize the position of those controls so that they are more comfortable to use. Plus, there are also new Delete and Share buttons at your disposal when using the preview window in Flex Mode.