Android updates have been a point of contention for a long time among Android users. While a few of the bigger players in the space typically release two major Android updates over the lifetime of a flagship device, mid-range, and budget smartphones typically only see one major update after their release. With the OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T receiving now receiving the Android 10 update, they are among only a handful of devices in recent history to get three full updates of the operating system.
Currently, Google’s Pixel phones are the only devices that have been promised three years of software support. As of right now, OnePlus hasn’t committed to delivering three major updates to its OnePlus 6, 7 and 8 devices, but we wouldn’t be surprised if they did. The official OnePlus policy on updates guarantees Android updates for 24 months after a phone is released and security updates for 36 months.
Now, if only there was a way to convince Samsung to take note of OnePlus’ example.
We are very excited to announce that we are currently rolling out OxygenOS version 10.0.0 based on Android 10 for the #OnePlus5 and #OnePlus5T.
Learn more: https://t.co/Twn6Prqi21 pic.twitter.com/4R5ohBBTs1
— OnePlus (@oneplus) May 27, 2020
OnePlus 5 Android 10 Changelog
- Upgraded to Android 10
- Brand new UI design
- Enhanced location permissions for privacy
- New customization feature in the Settings allowing you to choose icon shapes to be displayed in the Quick Settings
- Game Space
- New Game Space feature now add all your favorite games in one place for easier access and better gaming experience
- Now possible to block spam by keywords for Message (Messages – Spam – Settings -Blocking settings)
- Full Screen Gestures (OnePlus 5T Only)
- Removed back gesture from the bottom of the screen
- Added back gesture on the left and right side of the phone
- Added a bottom navigation bar to allow switching left or right for recent apps
- Electronic image stabilization currently under optimization and will be pushed in later stabler versions. Please stay tuned.