Last week, we saw the Play Store take a big step away from Google’s social network by removing the requirement that app reviewers have a Google+ profile. In their quest to decouple more and more services from Google+, it seems Hangouts on Air appears is the next big Google+ feature that is moving away from the social network.
Revealed in a YouTube Help page, Hangouts on Air will officially be moving on over to YouTube Live starting Sept 12th. It’s a logical transition, as Hangouts on Air was already being broadcasted live to YouTube, so the transition should be an easy one.
Anyone looking to schedule a Hangouts on Air after this time will need to use YouTube Live — not Google+ — and any existing events that are scheduled will need to rescheduled in YouTube Live. They even provided step-by-step instructions on scheduling a Hangouts on Air using YouTube Live.
Follow these steps:
- Go to Live Streaming Events in Creator Studio.
- Click New live event.
- Select Quick (using Google Hangouts On Air).
- Give your live stream a title.
- Click Go live now or enter in details to schedule your event for later.
- Use Hangouts to broadcast live.