Android 5.1.1 Lollipop — the most publicly available up-to-date version of Android — has begun making its way to Sony’s Xperia devices starting today. The first few Xperias to receive the update include the Sony Xperia Z3, Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact, Sony Xperia Z2, and Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet. Sony was even nice enough to detail all the changes not only Android 5.1 will bring to these devices, but new features in the custom UI.
- Increased customization options – so you have even more control over the way volume, silent modes and your alerts function
- Brand new LinkedIn integration – be more productive with intuitive contact synchronization in your Calendar
- Camera improvements – with faster, more accurate Superior Auto Mode focus for great images, regardless of conditions
- Enhanced enterprise support – with our latest Xperia in Business features for work
- SmartWear integration – selfie snapping made that bit easier, with SmartWatch 3 as a remote shutter button
- Instant calendar events – create & share smart events directly from any email
- Calendar agenda in Email – no need to switch apps to check upcoming events
- Richer Xperia themes
- New Settings menu icons
- Additional options for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in notification menu
Up next will be the Sony Xperia Z1, Sony Xperia Z1 Compact, and Sony Xperia Z Ultra followed then by the Sony Xperia T2 Ultra, and Sony Xperia C3. After all of those have receive the update, Sony says they have plans to roll out Android 5.1 to the original Xperia Z series, with Sony Xperia M2 and Sony Xperia M2 Aqua after that. That is a whole lot of Xperias, hot damn.
They may not have been first out the gate with Lollipop, but it’s refreshing to see Sony’s commitment to delivering the latest firmware updates to even their mid-range to lower end devices. Other Android OEMs can learn a thing or two. For more on the update, check out Sony Mobile’s quick video down below.