While we knew LG was planning to launch the Optimus G here in America we were’t sure which carriers would be getting it. We had an idea, but nothing concrete. What’s more concrete than a press release, though? They’ve announced that AT&T and Sprint will soon carry the great-looking device in what has to be the OEM’s most ambitious offering yet.
The Optimus G boasts a quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro, 2GB of RAM, a 4.7 inch True IPS HD display, a 13 megapixel camera, Android 4.0 to start, and more.
LG’s press release mentions “13 megapixel or 8 megapixel camera” for their rear camera specs so it sounds like one of these carriers will get the lesser version. It also looks like carriers will be able to offer either 16GB, 32GB, or both.
As it stands the LG Optimus G will arguably be the most powerful device to launch in America. We’d consider the Galaxy Note 2, but technically are unable to considering its launch event has yet to take place.
It rivals the Samsung Galaxy S3 in pretty much every area, and while it currently bests the American Galaxy S3 in processor type rumor has it Samsung is coming out with an S3 “plus” of sorts that’ll have 64GB of internal storage and a quad-core processor of some sort.
But this is about the Optimus G, LG’s greatest attempt to find their footing in the smartphone market the right way. Read on for full press details, and stay tuned as each individual carrier issues press releases of their own.
ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., Oct. 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — LG Electronics today announced that the high-powered LG Optimus G superphone will be available in the United States on the AT&T and Sprint networks. As the world’s first quad-core LTE (Long-Term Evolution) smartphone with the Qualcomm SnapdragonTM S4 Pro processor, LG Optimus G is not only one of the fastest phones on the market, but also one of the most powerful.
Designed to set a new standard in the industry, LG Optimus G combines LG’s leading LTE, display and energy technologies with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon S4 Pro processor to create an extremely fast and incredible mobile experience. Equipped with a high-density 2,100mAh battery and impressive 4.7-inch True HD IPS Plus display, Optimus G users can seamlessly multitask between personal, business and entertainment needs and go beyond the boundaries of traditional on-the-go smartphone capabilities.
“LG Optimus G is the culmination of cutting-edge technologies provided by LG’s class-leading global entities,” said James Fishler, senior vice president, marketing and go-to-market operations, LG Electronics USA. “Drawing upon expertise from the LG Mobile Communications Company, LG Display, LG Chem and LG Innotek , we have carefully designed a new superphone that encourages users to step beyond everyday boundaries and explore a limitless world of power and creativity.”
The elegant yet sleek design and the imaginative user experience displayed in the new Optimus G are made possible thanks to a collection of technologies from industry-leading developers in their fields. State-of-the-art display technologies from LG Innotek and LG Display such as True HD IPS Plus and Zerogap Touch, a unibody unit that eliminates the gap between the glass and the LCD panel, harmonize to offer one of the slimmest, sharpest and clearest viewing experience yet. The new battery from LG Chem has a longer life designed for multitasking. An ultra high-resolution, compact camera is employed in the Optimus G to offer super sharp photos without pixilation.
Sprint and AT&T will be among the first wireless service providers in the world to offer the LG Optimus G, which is powered by the new Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor – a 1.5GHz quad-core CPU processor with Asysnchronous Symmetric Multiprocessing, which enables each core to power up and down independently to increase performance while saving battery life.
Combined with LTE technology, the impressive processor allows users to easily and quickly view a video while running other apps at the same time. All of this power and functionality is housed in a light weight, eye-catching slim body to cater to fashionable lifestyles. LG developed and patented Crystal Reflection to give the back cover the ability to display different patterns depending on the angle and lighting. The intricate pattern gives Optimus G a clean finish reminiscent of a jewel.
The Optimus G creates the perfect combination of pleasure and functionality through a unique user experience not seen on any other device. While mobile communication, business, and entertainment are easily accommodated with the Optimus G, the all-new device can also release one’s inner artist with a wide range of features including:
- The QSlide Function shows two different screens simultaneously on one display so users can quickly send an important work email while playing a graphic-intense video at the same time.
- QuickMemo allows users to take notes on captured documents or photos with their fingers and instantly share with colleagues as an attachment or URL.
- Live Zooming enhances viewing experiences by enabling consumers to zoom in up to five times while watching video to see small details normally hidden on the screen.
- Photographs can be intensified with camera capabilities like Time Catch Shot, which empowers the user to choose the best photo among various shots taken before the shutter button is pressed.
- Dual Screen Dual Play not only allows mirroring between the smartphone and a TV or monitor, it also has the ability to display different content on each screen. For example, a slide presentation can be displayed on the monitor while the Optimus G shows the accompanying speaking notes.
- Creativity is also put to the test by the Icon Personalizer, which allows consumers to customize the sizes and images of their most-used apps.
- Advanced 13 MP or 8 MP rear-facing camera with Time Catch Shot, “cheese shutter” and Smart Shutter and Low Light Shot Noise Reduction
- Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) operating system
- Qualcomm Snapdragon™ S4 Pro processor with 1.5GHZ Quad-Core Krait CPUs and LTE
- 32 GB of memory or 16 GB of on-board memory and microSD slot pre-loaded with a 16GB SD card that can accommodate up to 64GB of expandable memory
- 4.7-inch WXGA True HD IPS Plus Display (1280 x 768 pixels)
- Display technologies including Zerogap Touch
- 2,100mAh battery
- Bluetooth® Version 4.0
- 1.3 MP front-facing camera
- Capable of 2G/3G/ 4G LTE networks
- Crystal Reflection glass finish
- DualScreen Dual Play feature that wirelessly displays different content on both a TV and the smartphone
- Screen Zooming allows zooming in and out of lists in music player, email, text messages and the photo gallery for increased visibility.
About LG Electronics USA
LG Electronics USA, Inc., based in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., is the North American subsidiary of LG Electronics, Inc., a $49 billion global force and technology leader in consumer electronics, home appliances and mobile communications. In the United States, LG Electronics sells a range of stylish and innovative mobile phones, home entertainment products, home appliances, and air conditioning systems and energy solutions, all under LG’s “Life’s Good” marketing theme. LG Electronics is a 2012 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year. For more information, please visit www.lg.com.