It’s that time of the month again! No, not the one your girlfriend warns you about, that time where Google updates us on the current state of affairs in Android. You know, Android firmwares. This allows Android-nuts like you and I to chart the growth of specific Android releases from devices that have recently pinged the Google Play Store. Let’s take a look.
- Jelly Bean: 40.5% (37.9% in June)
- Ice Cream Sandwich: 22.5% (23.3% in June)
- Gingerbread: 33.1% (34.1% in June)
While Jelly Bean is still very much on the rise, keep in mind that only a very small 6.5% of devices are running even running Android 4.2.2 (up from last month’s 5.6%). Really it’s like a sick cat-and-mouse game where OEM’s chase one Android release, only to find that they’ve once again fallen behind with the recent release of Android 4.3, the current latest version of Android (and the version you probably care about most).
We’d like to remind you that this isn’t representative of every Android device. We’re sure there are millions of Android devices in China still running on Donut but Google is only taking into account those devices that have recently pinged the Google Play Store. You know, legit Android devices. Cheers.
- Android Lollipop running on 12.4% of active devices
- Android Lollipop now running on 9.7% of devices
- KitKat now running on 30% of Android devices
- KitKat hits 24.5% in Android Platform Distribution numbers for September '14