Over the past few years, SONY has been trying to reinvent its smartphone lineup by adding cutting-edge hardware that few other smartphone makers are willing to put into their smartphones. This leads to very expensive devices, but it also gives users some of the best hardware money can buy, with very few compromises.
The issue is that SONY wants the hardware to do all the heavy lifting, without putting much effort into delivering software that can truly take advantage of the hardware advantages its smartphones have. In 2023, that story seems to have repeated itself… again, with the new SONY Xperia 1 V.
Take a look at our camera comparison to see how SONY’s hardware-first approach stacks up against Apple’s hardware and software mix.
SONY Xperia 1 V versus iPhone 14 Pro camera specs
SONY Xperia 1 V
- 48 MP, f/1.9, 24mm (MAIN), 1/1.35″, 1.12µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
- 12 MP , f/2.3, 85mm (TELEPHOTO), f/2.8, 125mm (telephoto), 1/3.5″, Dual Pixel PDAF, 3.5x-5.2x continuous optical zoom, OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 16mm (ULTRAWIDE), 1/2.5″, Dual Pixel PDAF
- 12 MP, f/2.0, 24mm (SELFIE), 1/2.9″, 1.25µm
- Video: 4K@24/25/30/60/120fps (REAR CAMERAS), 4K@ (SELFIE)
iPhone 14 Pro
- 48 MP, f/1.8, 24mm (MAIN), 1/1.28″, 1.22µm, dual pixel PDAF, sensor-shift OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.8, 77mm (TELEPHOTO), 1/3.5″, PDAF, OIS, 3x optical zoom
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 13mm, 120˚ (ULTRAWIDE), 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, dual pixel PDAF
- 12 MP, f/1.9, 23mm (SELFIE), 1/3.6″, PDAF
- Video: 4K@24/25/30/60fps