Buying a smartphone through a carrier is not a bad idea. Usually this is because carriers allow purchases through an installment plan, which means that you don’t have to pay the full price of the phone upfront. It also means that you are locked to the carrier for the next 12-24 months, but this isn’t that big of a deal since we don’t change phones that often anyway.
There is one downside and that is in some cases, a carrier might lock the SIM of your phone. This is done to prevent abuse of their contracts and so that customers don’t get the phone and try to run away with it, it also “forces” customers to use the carrier’s services which means more money for them.
If you’re someone that doesn’t switch carriers too often, it’s not a huge deal, but if you want to travel and use a local SIM, that’s when problems come in. The good news is that unlocking the SIM of a phone like the Samsung Galaxy A22 is actually pretty easy and we’ve outlined a few methods below that you might want to check out.
Unlocking through your carrier for free
Obviously the ideal method would be to unlock the SIM of the phone for free and this is possible through your carrier. But keep in mind that there might be certain requirements you’ll have to meet in order for this to work, and while it may vary from carrier to carrier, the general requirements are:
- You need to be in good standing with your carrier, meaning that you don’t have any outstanding bills and that the contract with your carrier for the phone has expired
- You’ll also need to make sure that you have owned the device for at least 60-90 days
Assuming you meet those requirements, then the process of unlocking the SIM is pretty easy, just follow the steps below:
- On your Samsung Galaxy A22 handset, launch the Phone app and dial *#06# to pull up your phone’s IMEI number
- Write the IMEI number down somewhere so you can refer to it later
- Call your carrier and request for your SIM unlock code
- You will probably be asked to provide the IMEI for the Samsung Galaxy A22’s
- If you meet all the requirements that we mentioned above, the SIM unlock code will be sent to the email address you provided in the next 2-5 days.
- Once you’ve received your code, swap out the SIM with a SIM from another carrier
- Enter the SIM unlock code that you received in your email when prompted and you’re set!
Using Android SIM Unlock
If for whatever reason your carrier has rejected your request to unlock the SIM of the Galaxy A22, not to worry because there are other alternative methods such as using a third-party service like Android SIM Unlock.
The process of unlocking using Android SIM Unlock is pretty simple and straightforward, so just follow the instructions below and you should be all set.
- On your Samsung Galaxy A22 phone, launch the Phone app and dial *#06# to get the device’s IMEI number
- Write the IMEI number down
- Go to Android SIM Unlock’s website
- Enter your device’s IMEI number
- Complete the checkout process with your payment and contact information
- Once payment is made, you should then receive the Samsung Galaxy A22’s unlock code either through SMS or email
- The moment you’ve received your code, you can then swap out the SIM on your phone with a SIM from another carrier
- You should be prompted to enter the SIM unlock code that you received in your email, and once you’ve done that, you should be good to go
Take note that unlocking the SIM of your phone does not release you from any contractual obligations you might have with your carrier. You’re still expected to make repayments (if any) and also to continue paying your bills. The main difference is that you now have a bit more freedom on which SIM card you want to use with your Galaxy A22.
Note: this article may contain affiliate links that help support our authors and keep the Phandroid servers running.