Due to the fact that Huawei remains on the US Entity List, it means that doing business with US companies and vice versa has become a lot more difficult, if not impossible. US companies would need to apply for a license and even then, there is no guarantee that it will be granted. This means that for all intents and purposes, Huawei is effectively locked out of the US market.
It creates some complications because it means that fans of Huawei’s phones will no longer be able to officially access Google’s apps and services, which could be a massive deal breaker for some. Now, if you have gotten your hands on the Huawei P50 Pocket foldable phone and think it could benefit from access to Google Play, then here’s what you need to do to enable it.
Take note that this is an unofficial method and it may stop working in the future if Huawei or Google decides to make some updates or changes that block the method, but for now, it could be worth trying anyway.
Install Google Play on the Huawei P50 Pocket
- Launch the Huawei App Gallery on the P50 Pocket and search for the “GSpace” app
- Download and install the app
- Download the GSpace 1.0.5 APK with Google Play Icon
- Launch the File Manager on your phone
- Go to Huawei P50 Pocket Phone storage > Download
- Tap and hold “GSpace Icon” to select it
- Tap on the four dots icon at the bottom right of the screen
- Tap on Extract To and then tap on OK
- You’ll be asked if you want to overwrite, tap YES, then tap on Gspace Icon, then tap on the first APK file at the top of the list
- Tap Allow, then tap on Install, then tap Open
- Go back to your home screen and launch the GSpace app
- When prompted, tap START
- Tap Allow and then tap Allow again, then tap Continue
- Go back to the file in the File Manager
- Tap on “play_-_gspace shortcut”
- Tap Other
- Tap Shortcut Maker
- Tap Always
- Tap the blue Create Shortcut button and then tap Add and you should now see the Google Play icon on your home screen
- Tap on the Google Play icon, sign in with your Google account
- Follow the instructions on the screen and you’re done, you now have access to the Play Store on your Huawei P50 Pocket
Like we said, this is an unofficial method that may or may not break in the future. Also, it is a good idea to always backup your device first before proceeding with this modification because in the off chance something goes wrong, you can always restore it. As always, proceed with caution and at your own risk!