The Moto G Stylus 5G (2022) was launched earlier this year. It is a great handset at a somewhat affordable price point, and one of the unique selling features is the support for a stylus. Given that Samsung seems to have called it quits on their Note series, this could be an affordable way to get your hands on a smartphone with a stylus in case the Galaxy S-series is too expensive for your liking.
Now, as with most phones, you can opt to buy it through your carrier. This makes sense because carriers let customers pay via installment plan, meaning that you can split the payment over the course of the contract. The downside is that carriers usually end up locking the SIM of your phone to discourage users to abandon them.
The good news is that if you need to unlock the SIM of the Moto G Stylus 5G (2022), you’re in luck because we’ll be going through two different methods that you can choose from depending on your situation.
Unlocking through your carrier for free
Carriers are usually willing to unlock the SIM of their phones. There is a catch and that is there are some requirements you’ll have to meet in order for them to proceed, which includes:
- You need to be in good standing with your carrier, meaning that you don’t have any outstanding bills and that the contract with your carrier for the phone has expired
- You’ll also need to make sure that you have owned the device for at least 60-90 days
These requirements might vary from carrier to carrier, so the best thing to do is give them a call first to make sure you meet the requirements before proceeding.
Assuming you happen to meet these requirements, all you need to do is make a call to your carrier and request them to unlock the SIM card on your phone. You will need to provide your carrier with certain details about your phone which you can obtain in the steps below:
- On your Moto G Stylus 5G (2022) handset, launch the Phone app and dial *#06# to pull up your phone’s IMEI number
- Write the IMEI number down somewhere so you can refer to it later
- Call your carrier and request for your SIM unlock code
- You will probably be asked to provide the IMEI for the Moto G Stylus 5G (2022)
- If you meet all the requirements that we mentioned above, the SIM unlock code will be sent to the email address you provided in the next 2-5 days.
- Once you’ve received your code, swap out the SIM with a SIM from another carrier
- Enter the SIM unlock code that you received in your email when prompted and you’re set!
Unlocking with Android SIM Unlock
If for whatever reason your carrier has told you that they won’t unlock the SIM of your Moto G Stylus 5G (2022) or that you don’t meet their requirements, don’t fret. There is an alternative method which is to use Android SIM Unlock’s SIM unlocking services. It will not be free like the carrier method, but it is pretty affordable and a great workaround.
- On your Moto G Stylus 5G (2022) phone, launch the Phone app and dial *#06# to get the device’s IMEI number
- Write the IMEI number down
- Go to Android SIM Unlock’s website
- Enter your device’s IMEI number
- Complete the checkout process with your payment and contact information
- Once payment is made, you should then receive the Moto G Stylus 5G (2022)’s unlock code either through SMS or email
- The moment you’ve received your code, you can then swap out the SIM on your phone with a SIM from another carrier
- You should be prompted to enter the SIM unlock code that you received in your email, and once you’ve done that, you should be good to go
As always, unlocking the SIM of your phone using Android SIM Unlock’s services does not free you from any obligations to your carrier. If you were on a contract, you still are until it expires and you will need to keep paying it as per usual. The only difference is that now that the SIM is unlocked, you’ll be able to use the phone with different carriers or take it with you overseas and use it with a local carrier instead of paying roaming charges.