Tolls are usually placed along highways as a way for companies/governments to earn back the money they spent building those roads. Sometimes, these tolls can feel unnecessary and expensive, especially if you have to use them frequently because over time, the tolls you pay back and forth will eventually add up.
If you’d like to be able to avoid tolls where possible, maybe only using it when there’s a traffic jam and using a tolled highway is the most efficient route, then here’s how you can actually avoid tolls on Google Maps.
Avoid tolls on Google Maps
- On your computer, open your browser and go to Google Maps
- Enter your destination and click on directions
- Enter your starting point and press enter
- A route should now be generated for you
- Click on Options
- Under “Avoid”, click on “Tolls” to make sure the box is checked
- A new route will be generated for you that will not include tolls
- Launch Google Maps on your smartphone
- Enter your destination
- Tap on the Directions button
- Enter your location
- At the top right corner of the app you will see an icon with three dots, tap on it
- Tap on Route Options
- Tap on Avoid tolls
In the case of mobile, there is an option to remember your settings so future directions will all be given with your settings in mind, so if you enabled “Avoid tolls”, then the next time you search for a different destination it will avoid tolls as well.