Following the launch of the OnePlus Nord N100 last year, OnePlus decided to follow up with a successor in the form of the N200 5G. This handset should not be confused with the OnePlus Nord 2 which is destined for countries other than the US. The N200 5G is the version that OnePlus brought to the US market.
If you bought the phone through a carrier like T-Mobile or MetroPCS on a contract, there’s a good chance that the handset’s SIM card is locked to the carrier.
Carriers usually lock the SIM to prevent customers from reselling the phone or from switching to a different carrier, but the good news is that unlocking it is actually not that difficult.
There are a couple of ways to go around unlocking the N200 5G’s SIM card. One of which is through your carrier, which might be a free unlock if you meet the requirements we listed below, or alternatively you can purchase an unlock code.
Unlocking through your carrier
As the OnePlus Nord N200 5G is a carrier-exclusive to T-Mobile, you will need to meet T-Mobile’s requirements to qualify for a SIM unlock. You can check the company’s website for the details to see if you qualify, or alternatively you can get a more definitive answer by:
- Going to your T-Mobile account
- Under Check device unlock status, see if your device is locked or unlocked
- If it’s locked, under the device’s image you should also see if it is eligible to be unlocked
Assuming that your device is eligible for a free unlocking, here are T-Mobile’s instructions on what you need to do next:
- On the OnePlus Nord N200 5G, launch the Settings
- Go to Wi-Fi & internet > SIM & network
- Choose Advanced or Network Unlock, whichever is available to you
- Select Permanent Unlock and wait for the unlocking process to be complete
- Restart your device and you should be good to go
Unlocking using Android SIM Unlock
In case you don’t meet the requirements set out by T-Mobile to qualify for a free SIM unlock, don’t worry, there are third-party services that work just as well but only cost a small fee.
- Launch the Phone app on the OnePlus Nord N200 5G
- Dial *#06#
- Record down the IMEI number that’s displayed your phone
- If you’re using T-Mobile, go to Android SIM Unlock’s T-Mobile page, or go to its MetroPCS page if you’re using MetroPCS
- Enter your device’s IMEI
- Proceed with the checkout and make your payment
- Once payment has been successfully made, you’ll just need to wait for the confirmation email
- Upon receiving the confirmation email, follow the steps on Android SIM Unlock’s website to complete the unlocking process
- Insert your new SIM card and you should be good to go!
We’d like to point out that once your phone’s SIM is unlocked, it doesn’t free you from any contractual obligations you might have with your carrier. If you’re still locked in a contract, you’ll have to keep paying for the phone’s repayment. The upside to unlocking the SIM is that it simply gives you the freedom to use the phone with whichever carrier you want, which can be useful and a more practical solution while traveling overseas.