It may not be enjoying critical mass appeal that Fornite is thanks to a few big name music artists recently stopping by to play in a streamer’s game, but Player Unknown’s: Battlegrounds still has quite the following surrounding it. The online battle royale title — more commonly known as “PUBG” — is often the subject of live streamers thanks to its wide appeal and availability on popular platforms like the PC, Xbox, and more recently iOS and Android devices in China. Pretty much everything but the PlayStation (for now).
With that, PUBG for mobile devices is finally ready to take on North American gamers, where a surprise soft launch is now hitting the Play Store for Android users. Like most soft launches, it’s only live in Canada (all of our devices are grayed out here in the US) while the developer tests stability and/or popularity while they prepare for a wider launch. Here are all the features according to the Play Store listing:
Officially licensed PUBG on Mobile
- An authentic port of the PC version. 100 players are dropped on an enormous 8×8 km battlefield. Players fight to survive and eliminate each other through strategy and skill. The last one standing wins! Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner!
Realistic Graphics and HD Audio
- Unreal Engine 4 brings a phenomenal visual experience with detail rendering, an expansive HD map, and realistic scenes.
- High-quality audio with 3D sound effects and 7.1 channel surround sound makes players feel like they are on the real battlefield.
- With a large selection of firearms, melee weapons, and throwables with realistic ballistics and trajectories, this is the perfect combat experience on mobile.
Travel in Style
- Drive one of a variety of vehicles to escape from your foes or to stalk your prey.
Team-Up with Friends and Use Voice Chat
- Invite friends to team-up, head into battle together and collaborate over voice chat.
Fair Gaming Environment
- Armed with powerful anti-cheating mechanisms and optimized for many devices, ensuring a fun and fair environment for players.
PUBG for mobile devices brings everything you loved about the PC/console versions, just shrunken down for smartphone displays. Just you know, good luck trying to hit moving targets with touch screen controls. If you’re in Canada, give it a download and let us know what you think.
Tencent Games recommends you have an Android device running Android 5.1.1 with 2GB of RAM for an optimal experience with more than 500+ Android devices supported. Link provided below if you’d like to give it a shot.