OnePlus has announced the next version of OxygenOS. OnePlus calls this a “Community Build” only for the OnePlus 3. OxygenOS 3.5 is still based on Android Marshmallow, but Nougat should be on the way soon. A “Community Build” is similar to release candidates. This means it’s a mostly stable release that isn’t quite ready for the mass market.
OnePlus 3 enthusiasts will be happy to get the new update. These updates require knowing how to use ADB, recovery mode, and sideloading ZIP files. Once you install a Community Build you will be locked into that channel. All future updates will be sent via OTA, but they will be Community Builds. You’ll have to do a fresh install of OxygenOS to get back to the stable channel.
Here’s everything you’ll get in the 3.5 Community Build:
- Several UI improvements
- New and improved OnePlus apps, including clock, weather, and file manager apps
- Improved camera software
- More robust settings and customization features
And since this is not a 100% stable release, here is everything that doesn’t work quite right:
- Android Pay is not currently supported
- Only English is currently supported in several OnePlus apps
- Some performance issues
- Some UI issues when using custom themes
- System UI tuner is unstable (do not use); using the system UI tuner could cause serious issues that can only be resolved via factory reset
- You will need to re-register your fingerprints if you have fingerprint authentication enabled