Whenever you buy a phone directly from your carrier through an installment plan or contract, chances are they will lock its SIM to their network. This is done to prevent users from trying to run away from their contract and also to encourage customers to keep using the carrier’s services.
While this isn’t an issue if you plan to stick with your carrier anyway, it can be a little inconvenient if you plan to travel or if you need to swap out your SIM for a different one. If you happen to own the Google Pixel 7 smartphone and your SIM is locked to your carrier, the good news is that you can actually unlock it even if you’re still on contract.
Below we will show you a couple of different methods that you can use to unlock the Pixel 7’s SIM, one of which will be free and the other being a paid method which will work in case the free method does not.
Unlock the Pixel 7 for free
- You need to be in good standing with your carrier, meaning that you don’t have any outstanding bills and that the contract with your carrier for the phone has expired
- You’ll also need to make sure that you have owned the device for at least 60-90 days
Also, the requirements to unlock the SIM may differ from carrier to carrier, so your best bet is to give them a call and see what they need from you. Assuming you do meet the requirements for unlocking your Pixel 7’s SIM for free, these are the steps you’ll need to take:
- On your Google Pixel 7 handset, launch the Phone app and dial *#06# to pull up your phone’s IMEI number
- Write the IMEI number down somewhere so you can refer to it later
- Call your carrier and request for your SIM unlock code
- You will probably be asked to provide the IMEI for the Google Pixel 7’s
- If you meet all the requirements that we mentioned above, the SIM unlock code will be sent to the email address you provided in the next 2-5 days.
- Once you’ve received your code, swap out the SIM with a SIM from another carrier
- Enter the SIM unlock code that you received in your email when prompted and you’re set!
Android SIM Unlock
Seeing as how the Pixel 7 is still a relatively new phone and less than a year old, there is a chance that your carrier may not be willing to unlock the SIM of your phone. If you do need its SIM unlocked because you’re planning to travel, then you might want to take a look at Android SIM Unlock’s services.
Note that this is a paid service but it is more or less guaranteed to work, so if you want to unlock the SIM of your Pixel 7 without all the fuss, then this is the best method.
- On your Google Pixel 7 phone, launch the Phone app and dial *#06# to get the device’s IMEI number
- Write the IMEI number down
- Go to Android SIM Unlock’s website
- Enter your device’s IMEI number
- Complete the checkout process with your payment and contact information
- Once payment is made, you should then receive the Google Pixel 7’s unlock code either through SMS or email
- The moment you’ve received your code, you can then swap out the SIM on your phone with a SIM from another carrier
- You should be prompted to enter the SIM unlock code that you received in your email, and once you’ve done that, you should be good to go
We would also like to remind you that unlocking the SIM of your Pixel 7 does not release you from the contract you have with your carrier. You’ll still be required to make all the payments on time, the only difference is that now you have the freedom of being able to use your Pixel 7 with any SIM you want.
Note: this article may contain affiliate links that help support our authors and keep the Phandroid servers running.