The Motorola Edge+ (2020) was launched a couple of years ago and it is a great phone with decent hardware, making it an excellent value for money proposition. We imagine that since it is only two years old, there are many of you out there who are continuing to use it as your daily driver and might not be planning to upgrade anytime soon.
If you bought it through a carrier, there is a chance that the SIM might be locked. This is usually done to prevent fraud where customers might buy the phone and attempt to sell it and break their contract.
Unfortunately, a locked SIM does make it tricky if you plan to move to a different carrier, or want to use it overseas where you might want to purchase a local SIM instead of paying for roaming charges. Thankfully, unlocking the phone’s SIM is pretty simple and free in some cases, but even if that fails, you can turn to reliable services like Android SIM Unlock.
Unlocking through your carrier for free
Before you get your carrier to unlock your Motorola Edge+’s SIM for free, typically they will have some requirements that you’ll have to meet first. This will vary from carrier to carrier, but generally speaking they are:
- You need to be in good standing with your carrier, meaning that you don’t have any outstanding bills and that the contract with your carrier for the phone has expired
- You’ll also need to make sure that you have owned the device for at least 60-90 days
As we stated before, this might be different from carrier to carrier, country to country, so your best bet is to give them a call and see what they need before you proceed with a SIM unlock for your Motorola Edge+ (2020).
Now, assuming that you have met those requirements, the rest of the process is pretty simple and straightforward and here’s what you need to do:
- On your Motorola Edge+ (2020) handset, launch the Phone app and dial *#06# to pull up your phone’s IMEI number
- Write the IMEI number down somewhere so you can refer to it later
- Call your carrier and request for your SIM unlock code
- You will probably be asked to provide the IMEI for the Motorola Edge+ (2020)
- If you meet all the requirements that we mentioned above, the SIM unlock code will be sent to the email address you provided in the next 2-5 days.
- Once you’ve received your code, swap out the SIM with a SIM from another carrier
- Enter the SIM unlock code that you received in your email when prompted and you’re set!
Unlocking with Android SIM Unlock
Now, there might be the off-chance that your carrier will not unlock the SIM of your Motorola Edge+ (2020+ for you. If that happens, don’t worry. This is because there are third-party services like Android SIM Unlock that can unlock the SIM of your phone even if your carrier has rejected your request. This will come at a small fee, but it’s generally quite cheap, especially for the freedom that you’ll be getting in exchange.
- On your Motorola Edge+ (2020) phone, launch the Phone app and dial *#06# to get the device’s IMEI number
- Write the IMEI number down
- Go to Android SIM Unlock’s website
- Enter your device’s IMEI number
- Complete the checkout process with your payment and contact information
- Once payment is made, you should then receive the Motorola Edge+ (2020)’s unlock code either through SMS or email
- The moment you’ve received your code, you can then swap out the SIM on your phone with a SIM from another carrier
- You should be prompted to enter the SIM unlock code that you received in your email, and once you’ve done that, you should be good to go