A lot of apps and online services are still requiring that users have a username and password to login. This can be considered the most basic form of security, but it is definitely not the best or the most robust.
This is because your security is only as strong as the weakest link, so if you’re the type that chooses bad passwords or reuses passwords, then the chances of your account being compromised is higher, no thanks to all the data breaches over the years that have resulted in many accounts and passwords being posted online.
This is why two-factor authentication (2FA) is a good idea and a feature that should be enabled wherever possible, so if you’re looking to prevent your TikTok account from being hacked, then here’s how to set up 2FA for your account.
Turn on 2FA for TikTok
- Launch the TikTok app on your phone
- Log into your account if you haven’t done so already
- Tap Profile at the bottom right of the screen
- Tap the hamburger menu at the top right of the screen
- Tap on Settings and privacy
- Tap on Security
- Tap on 2-step verification
- TikTok will require you choose at least two methods of 2FA, so select SMS and Email
- Tap Turn on and you may be prompted to re-enter your password to authenticate yourself
- Tap Next
- Enter your phone number and tap Send code
- You will receive an SMS to the phone number you entered. Enter that code and tap Next
- Enter your email address and tap Send code
- You’ll receive an email with a 6-digit code, enter that code in TikTok and you’re good to go