With the world opening up again and with more countries accepting tourists for travel, we imagine that many of you can’t wait to go on holiday again. Now, bringing your phone on holiday is pretty much a must, but those roaming charges can be pretty expensive depending on your plan.
This is why typically speaking, buying a local SIM will usually be cheaper compared to paying roaming fees. Unfortunately, sometimes when you buy a phone on contract with a carrier, they might lock the SIM to prevent customers from running off with the phone, which means that using it with an overseas carrier may not be possible.
If you happen to own a SIM locked Motorola Edge (2022), don’t worry because in this guide, we’ll show you how to unlock the SIM of your Motorola Edge (2022) for free! Or even in the off-chance that you can’t, we’ll show you another method that uses Android SIM Unlock’s services.
Unlocking through your carrier for free
One of the ways you can get the SIM unlocked on your phone for free is by asking your carrier to unlock it. This is the most straightforward way and generally speaking, most carriers are more than happy to do it for you free of charge. There are certain requirements you’ll have to meet in order to qualify:
- You need to be in good standing with your carrier, meaning that you don’t have any outstanding bills and that the contract with your carrier for the phone has expired
- You’ll also need to make sure that you have owned the device for at least 60-90 days
Keep in mind that these requirements will differ from carrier to carrier, so it’s not necessarily a guarantee, so your best bet would be to give them a call first and see what they need from you to proceed with the free SIM unlock.
- On your Motorola Edge (2022) handset, launch the Phone app and dial *#06# to pull up your phone’s IMEI number
- Write the IMEI number down somewhere so you can refer to it later
- Call your carrier and request for your SIM unlock code
- You will probably be asked to provide the IMEI for the Motorola Edge (2022)
- If you meet all the requirements that we mentioned above, the SIM unlock code will be sent to the email address you provided in the next 2-5 days.
- Once you’ve received your code, swap out the SIM with a SIM from another carrier
- Enter the SIM unlock code that you received in your email when prompted and you’re set!
Unlocking with Android SIM Unlock
If you do not meet the requirements by your carrier to unlock the SIM, or if for whatever reason they can’t or won’t unlock your SIM, not to worry because thanks to third-party services like Android SIM Unlock, you can actually unlock the SIM of your Motorola Edge (2022) by paying a small (but affordable) fee.
- On your Motorola Edge (2022) phone, launch the Phone app and dial *#06# to get the device’s IMEI number
- Write the IMEI number down
- Go to Android SIM Unlock’s website
- Enter your device’s IMEI number
- Complete the checkout process with your payment and contact information
- Once payment is made, you should then receive the Motorola Edge (2022)’s unlock code either through SMS or email
- The moment you’ve received your code, you can then swap out the SIM on your phone with a SIM from another carrier
- You should be prompted to enter the SIM unlock code that you received in your email, and once you’ve done that, you should be good to go
Once the SIM of your phone has been unlocked, you’ll be able to freely swap it out and use it with other carriers in your country, or if you’re traveling, you’ll be able to use it with a local carrier to avoid paying roaming charges. Note that unlocking the SIM does not release you from any contractual obligations you may still have with your carrier, so you’ll still be expected to continue paying whatever fees/bills that are coming your way.
Note: this article may contain affiliate links that help support our authors and keep the Phandroid servers running.